2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 07:06 PM
daStoneman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Problems

Hello,

I've noticed two recent problems that may be electrical on my 2001 Dakota 4X4 Club Cab, 4.7L.

First, my AC/Vent/Heater only work at the highest setting. All other settings, no air blows out.

Second, my 4WD will not engage. When I turn the switch to 4WD (hi or low), the light will just blink, then go back to 2WD, even though the **** is still on 4WD.

Can anybody assist? I think this may be electrical or associated with a broken switch.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:58 PM
hoobasta4
Rookie
Default RE: Electrical Problems

hey DA~

As far as the AC/Vent/Heater thingy. I think it is the resistor. The resistor allows certain power to certain fan speeds. What happened is that the STOCK resistor isn't coated with anything over the top of the circuit board and so it built up condensation on it and it fried it. It fried the part of the board that won't allow it to turn on unless its on the "HIGH" setting. So you'd have to find where the resistor is located. Usually it is located under the passenger side seat by the fan (right under/behind the glove box, and right above where the passengers feet would be). Your best bet is to ask the dealership if thats what they think it would be. A new resistor should only cost about $20 and you should have no problem installing it yourself!

As far as the 4WD. Have you had ANY codes thrown? Otherwise its hard to say. It could be rejecting the change from 2WD to 4WD because it knows something is wrong and it doesn't want to change into 4WD and damage something. Not saying you don't know how, but are you engaging it at the "right time"? Otherwise that is honestly a strange thing. I'd just have it checked out.

hope this all helps! let me know if the AC/Heater thing is the resistor!

Hooby

Old 04-18-2005, 11:00 PM
daStoneman

Thanks!

Old 04-19-2005, 12:17 PM
73roadrunner
Captain

I'll warm up the truck in the winter and when the front window is defrosted I'll switch to the floor vents and it will take ten minutes (at the med. setting) for the hot air to get to the floor. It has always puzzled me why it takes so long I don't think it's right but it eventually works..... As far as the 4x4 setting mine goes into 4hi ok but I usually have issues going back to AWD. It says you can be going under 20mph(I think) but I've had to come to a complete stop and go in Rev and back to get it to engage. I had mentioned it to the Dealership and he said it isn't a problem! It doesn't happen offten and it's still under warrenty so near the end I'll bring it In and have everything checked over!!

Old 04-19-2005, 10:50 PM
reconstrucktion
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure its the resistor also speaking from experience my truck also did the same thing a/c would only go in to high. . . change out the resistor and fixed! Not that i use the a/c anyway. . .

Quick Reply: Electrical Problems