2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Broken Bleed Screw (with rant)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 PM
jlampitt
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, that didn't work...

Snapped the screw extractor bit right off.

So... new caliper it is. Which is fine. Brakes are good at this point (knock on wood).

I'll just do the job when I bolt on a new master cylinder (another issue). That'll give me some time to stock up on parts and just do both jobs on the same day.

Oh, which brings up one more question... is there any valid reason why I'd have to replace both rear calipers to, "ensure even operation" vs just replacing the caliper with the broken bleeder?

I'm asking because a couple of places I've called recommended I basically replace the entire rear-brake system instead of just one caliper. Doesn't that seem a bit extreme?

Old 01-17-2010, 06:15 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont see why. When I replaced the front caliper on my truck I just did one. I dont see why I had to replace 2 of them just took the other one off and cleaned it up good to make sure it released with no hang ups. I really dont know why you would. Maybe someone else on here has a better answer to why you might want to.

Quick Reply: Broken Bleed Screw (with rant)