2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

just bought my 98 and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just bought my 98 and have some questions

i just bought my 98 dodge dakota sport, its a V6 5 speed with ext cab. i want to lift it and put some mud tires on it but dont want to spend the money for a lift kit. i onle want to lift it 3-6 inches. ive been reading about some homemade lifts and ive seen things from metal pipes with washers on the ends for a body lift to blocks between the leafs and axles. but i want to know from someone with experience what would be my best bet? and what size tires could i fit on the stock rim with a 3-6 inch lift? also i have some rust spots on my truck (thats what i get for living in ny where they salt the roads) but its mostly around the fenders so does anyone know where i can get some cheap fender flares to cover the rust and to give it a nice look. ive already cleaned and painted the rust to stop potential spreading. and does anyone have any tips on cheap things that would give it maybe a little more hp and mpg?

Old 01-17-2010, 11:45 PM
tamcnally
Veteran
Old 01-17-2010, 11:46 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will address your last question because thats all i can help you with, but dont expect good mpg with you dakota. in terms of hp, a CAI and exhaust will free up some horses for you. a superchips tuner will also give you nice hp gains but they cost like $400.

i know you can crank the torsion bars for an inch or 2 but check the FAQ section, theres a bunch of stuff on lifts there.

welcome to the forum.

Last edited by thunder98110; 01-17-2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional

thanks i was already planning on the cai and exhaust and i dont think i have torsion bars i beleive i have springs in the front and leafs in the rear
and ive been looking at all the other threads but i just wanna know whats the cheapest way i could lift it even if i have to fabricate parts

Quick Reply: just bought my 98 and have some questions