2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2wd ball joints

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 2wd ball joints

I have a 2001 Dakota, 2 wheel drive 3.9. The lower ball joints are bad and need to be replaced. I found this out last week when 2 different alignment techs couldn’t get it aligned with the steering wheel straight.

My question is, those who have done 2wd ball joints, how did you get the old ones out? I was planning to grind the rivet heads down flat and then drill them out. Once you remove the caliper and rotor is there enough room to get a 4 inch grinding wheel in there and grind the rivet heads flat and then drill them out? I have a couple of grinding discs that I can use in my drill, but if it needs a regular electric grinder and grinding wheel I can get one at Home Depot for $29.00. I just don’t know if a 2 inch grinding disc will work on the rivet heads. And with the drill is there enough room to get a regular sized 3/8’ electric drill in there and drill out the rivets or did you need an angle drill to do it? Harbor Freight has a cheap electric close quarter drill that looks like it would work if I need it.

I am asking because I want to make the job as easy as possible and if I need to go pick up any other tools that I need before I get started. I don’t want to have to stop in the middle of it and go on a 60 mile round trip to get tools or parts.

Thanks for your help.

Jimmy

Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM
dakota19762
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced the ball joints in my Dakota, my advise is to remove the lower control arm (two bolts) and get it to a drill press. You will see that the lower joint is sandwiched in the control arm. Grind off the rivet and drill away. You could possibly drill them out still on the truck, but if you get off-center, you will be removing the control arm for a new one. You may also want to go ahead and replace the bushings. Wow, what a difference in the ride and handling. Good luck.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Brutus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be doing this soon on the 2000RT. I am planning on cutting them off with a 4" DeWalt ginder and using a air hammer to drive them out. Im sure I will be takin fits! But that is part of the fun....right?

Old 01-26-2010, 11:40 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought an electric right angle drill, an angle grinder and some sanding and grinding discs tonight so hopefully I have what I need to get the old bj's drilled out. I'm picking up my new TRW ball joints at AAP tomorrow and hope to get started Friday night. I hope it's not too much trouble and I can get the truck to the tire store and get it aligned on Sunday.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: 2wd ball joints