2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No HVAC blower please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 07:54 PM
mfg025
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No HVAC blower please help!

Blower not working at any speed. replaced resistor a couple years back because it only had high.

Checked 10A fuse on dash 12 V there, Checked 40A fuse under hood has continuity, 12V at blower connector when ignition is on.

Removed blower and replaced with one from NAPA, did resistor also. Still no blower at any speed. You can hear the heat/cold changeover and vents changing when other ***** are turned.

My thoughts are either new motor is bad or it's the dashboard fan switch. I wanted to test the new motor on 12v battery but was afraid to fry it or something. Old motor does not turn at all when hooked up to 12v battery.

I'm at wits end and ready to go to a shop, but I've invested in some parts and NAPA doesn't take returns on electrical.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:49 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

hook the new one up to a 12 volt source. it wont fry it. just hang onto it when you touch the connections.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:53 PM
mfg025
Default thanks

polarity does not matter?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:36 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

The motor is not polarized. If you reverse polarity the motor will just turn in the opposite direction. The fan motor does not change speeds by increasing or decreasing the power in positive voltage to the fan, the blower motor has 12 volts when the ignition is on and the blower motor resistor pack changes the motor's speed by changing the amount of ground resistance going to the motor. So testing the motor by applying 12 volts and ground to the 2 wires on it should not damage it.

There should be 5 wires at the connector on the back of the fan **** on the dash. The solid black is ground. At each of the other 4 wires (black/tan, light blue, light green and tan) there should be continuity at each of those 4 wires and the black ground wire, as you move the fan speed **** through each setting from low to high speed. But there should only be continuity between one of the 4 colored wires and the black ground wire at a time. Tan should have ground on low speed, light green is the next highest speed, light blue is the next highest and black/tan is the highest full blast speed on the fan. If you have continuity to ground on more than one of the corresponding speed control wires at the same time, the fan control is defective. Dodge doesn't sell the fan switch by itself, you have to replace the entire control panel if the blower speed switch is bad.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:36 AM
mfg025
Default thanks

Thanks 01silvercc good info will try. mine's an 01 silver cc too. also wouldn't those wires be the same as the ones attached to the resistor?

Last edited by mfg025; 02-04-2010 at 07:47 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:42 AM
mfg025

update- old and new blower motors are fine I was testing them with too thin of wire and neither would run due to insufficient amps. so now I guess I am looking at the control head. There is not ground at the motor connection at any fan speed so that points to the fan control. already replaced resistor.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:56 PM
mfg025

update- local dodge dealer replaced NAPA's defective resistor for $106. NAPA did take parts back though...

Quick Reply: No HVAC blower please help!