2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 dakota wiper and wiper fluid problom

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:41 PM
bigk24y
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 dakota wiper and wiper fluid problom

Hey,
ive got a 98 dodge dakota slt v6, just recently Both of my wipers stopped working completly and the when i push in on the stick to use wiper fluid nothing happens either. I didnt use them for a while because they were stuck to the windshield and the wiper fluid holes were covered by snow and ice, so i just brushed off the snow and didnt need them. then just recently i got rid of all the snow and ice and went to use them and nothing happened, they dont twitch or move at all. i was wondering if anybody knows the reason behind this,my turn signals work just fine,i thought it might have been just a loose wire somewhere but could not find anything. what should i do next? Thanks oh and when they were stuck sometimes i would turn them on fast to see if they could break free but they never did, is it possible i burnt out the motor?

Old 02-07-2010, 01:50 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you check the fuse? Next lift up the arms and see if they are frozen to the windshield.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:34 PM
bigk24y

Yea i just tried the one in the cab,and nothing happened.could it be one of the fuses under the hood?

Old 02-09-2010, 08:46 PM
984x4
Professional

Turn on wiper moptor, check for voltage at motor with the switch in various positions. If you got power at all settings, you got a bad wiper motor. If you have no power, you got problem between the switch and the motor. Then start taking apart the steering colum to get to the multi-function switch and check for power there.

Good luck. I hate electrical problems. Right now, I've got a non-functioning remote start and don't feel like fixing it. I'll pay someone to fix loose connection.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM
bigk24y
Default re

Ive decided to get a new motor, were is it located? what tools do i need to do it? and what are the steps? Thank you, i have a chilton but dont have it with me.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:52 PM
USMC Dodge
Amateur

I had the same problem with my '99, it turned out that the wiper fuse blew but when I changed it out with a fresh fuse the new one also blew. I went through 3 fuses before taking off the cowl and checking the motor connection, I just blew out the connection with air and that fixed for me.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:09 PM
984x4
Professional

How do you know to change out a part, thinking it is bad, when you don't even know where it is located???

You are throwing parts, and money, at it. Change enough parts and you will be bound to fix the problem. Even a blind squirel gets a nut, once in a while.

If you want to throw money away, throw it my way.

Do some basic troubleshooting and FIX the PROBLEM.

Quick Reply: 98 dakota wiper and wiper fluid problom