2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Installing an amp and sub in 2000 Dakota Extended Cab.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 09:46 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 PM
LIQUID FIRE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. I'm going to see if I can find one at an afordable price. I did not see a price on the MTX site but just doing a google search brings them up around $465 - $910.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:36 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I have never used or heard the MTX Thunderform. What I did in my own truck though was build a small, sealed enclosure for a single JL Audio 10W0, 4 ohm sub. The box is not that large, it is .75 cubic feet of internal air space. Maybe 12 inches by 12 inches by 10 inches deep for the external dimensions.

I removed the bottom seat cushion from behind my driver's seat (I am too tall for anyone to sit back there anyway) and I cut a piece of 1/2 medium density fiberboard (mdf) to fit inside the top edge of the tool tray on that side. Then I covered it with dark gray carpet to match my truck's carpet and interior. Then I just shot a few screws through the edge of the carpeted mdf into the lip of the tool tray to hold it in place. You can cut an X in the carpet where the screws go in and kind of move and re-stick the carpet fibers back over it to cover the screws up. Then I set the box without the woofer in it right behind the back end of the center seat/console and screwed it down to the mdf board. I ran the speaker wire for the sub through the back side of the box first though. Then I mounted the woofer into the box, it is centered directly behind the middle seat cushion. This left me about 16 inches or so on the carpeted mdf board between the sub and the rear driver's side panel to mount my amplifier. I have a JL Audio 300/4 mounted there, driving my whole system. I also made a flush panel for the amp and covered it and the sub enclosure in the dark gray carpet to match my truck's interior. The whole thing sounds and looks great.

I got the 10W0, mdf and carpet for cost from the car audio store where I used to work but even at retail prices it cost a lot less than the Thunderform. If it's not something you want to try yourself, a good car audio shop could build an enclosure for you.

Jimmy

Old 03-14-2010, 02:43 PM
LIQUID FIRE

I purchased the MTX Thunderform DDXP201A-T45. However, the week before I received it I had to sell my truck. Is it against forum rules to try to sell it here?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by LIQUID FIRE
I purchased the MTX Thunderform DDXP201A-T45. However, the week before I received it I had to sell my truck. Is it against forum rules to try to sell it here?
Not at all. Why did you sell your truck? How much do you want for the MTX?

Old 03-14-2010, 09:01 PM
LIQUID FIRE

My grandparents had a '93 GMC Sonoma that blew an engine and they needed another vehicle. My granddad always wanted my truck so I gave it to him. I hated to get rid of it, but oh well. I payed $450 shipped. It is loaded with the subs and amp. I would like to at least get close. I want to get an MTX enclosure for my Suburban now. Unless I can find another Dakota. :-)

Quick Reply: Installing an amp and sub in 2000 Dakota Extended Cab.