2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filters

Ok yall, it's time to replace the filter on my 5.2 and I am wondering about the diferent alternatives to the stock filter element. I know I could go with a CAI but i'm just not interested in spending that kind of money yet. I am thinking of going with a regular old school air cleaner or maybe just clamping a K&N cone style to the stock air hat. I want to know what some of yall are running.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

5.2's love the old school Air hat. I did it on my Ram 5.9. You can get one at most auto parts stores for ~$20. Cheap, easy to install, and works better than a CAI for the 5.2/5.9. I say go for it.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Run a normal paper one, you're wasting your time with the others.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 PM
racoon114

i got a drop in kn air filter. I dont see much difference the power or the fuel mileage. I dont feel that it was worth the money. The paper filter works fine. I have also heard stories about the oil on a kn or similar filters getting on the mass air flow sensor and causing some major problems. I dont know if there is any truth to it or not.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran

thanks for the feed back fellas. CScustoms, What style air hat are you refering to?
Madison, How is it a waste of time to get away from the paper filter and flex tube? I would think near about anything would be better than the stock set-up.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
5.2's love the old school Air hat. I did it on my Ram 5.9. You can get one at most auto parts stores for ~$20. Cheap, easy to install, and works better than a CAI for the 5.2/5.9. I say go for it.
Uh, is this an opinion, or fact? *just wondering

Old 03-04-2010, 09:44 PM
00dakSport
All Star

i got the drop in k$n, i like it.
it's like twice the price, but it's good for 1mil miles
and i've had no problems w/ the oil in over a year
the oil keeps moisture out of ur intake and captures dirt.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
Uh, is this an opinion, or fact? *just wondering
Well the air hats use a round paper filter, instead of the flat style, which I'm sure you already know.
Now, if you look in the Ram section many guys have done it. It does not cause a loss in performance, and I think the MPG's are negligible. I say that because the added MPG's was only .2 - .5 If I remember correctly.
But according to my butt dyno (I.E. not proven, but was a nice feel) it felt like it opened up the higher RPM's and the engine breathed better.

Basically what it comes down to is, it's a nice addition to the engine bay, feels like it opens up better in higher RPM's, and doesn't cause a lose in performance. The testing was all done by enthusiasts though, so again, not proven.

And the air hat I'm referring to is this kind:

Can be bought at summit racing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRG-1480/?rtype=10

It comes with the filter, bottom and top, and the threaded rod and wing nut.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:03 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Ok, just a regional misinterpretation. That to me is just an old school Air cleaner where an Air hat to me is the retarded lil round cap dodge used on these engines. Just one of those things I suppose, But I appreciate your feedback. I have found and read a good bit on this through the past few days and I added an Edelbrock Pro Flow Elite series breather to it today that will be coming right back off tomorrow. I was sorely disapointed in this things material and craftsmanship. So I am going to Step over to a cast or billet set up. Maybe even a shaker down the road.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

the only way i think the k&n oil could damage your truck is if u screwed up and put way to much oil on it like a dummy, but i got a full k&n system cheap i love the sound it adds sounds like an exhaust system coming from the front end

Quick Reply: Air filters