2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tranny acting odd

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tranny acting odd

For you that dont know its a auto 44re. Well Ive had this problem with it acting weird in 1st gear and other than that it was fine now I noticed that it will sometimes slip in all gears. My buddy said it was slipping bad the other day when he was driving it but after he dropped the truck off. I took it back out(right after he dropped it off) and it was fine. Now the other problem is when going down hill and I put it to the floor it will go to 2nd or 3rd gear(not sure which prob 2nd tho) doing like 80 and it hits rev limiter then as soon as I let off it shifts back up and is fine. Its only happened 2 times and in the same exact passing lane. The only thing I can figure is I messed it up when we had snow I was trying to make it to camp 4wd spinning the whole way when I got up there the od off light came on so I shut the truck off and started it back up and it was still on so I let it sit for about 20 min and on my way back out the light went off and after that is when I noticed it acting weird. I know it has towing miles on it plus the abuse I put it threw it also does have 84,000 miles on it(still thats low miles). Im going to change the fluid and filter next week and see if it changes at all. Do you guys think I should start shopping around for a new tranny? I know if this one goes Im def doing a 5 speed. The thing that pisses me off is I have money coming my way and I had a lift, wheels and tires planned out along with some other small stuff and now im prob going to spend that on a tranny.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:57 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

So no one has any idea what could be causing this or what I could check?

Old 03-13-2010, 08:57 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to e like the same common slipage probs that mopar transmissions are known for. It seem that unless they are religiously serviced they have a tendancy to die or start showing problems around 85-100k miles. sounds like yours could quite possibly still be savable though if you have acess to a good reputable trans shop. Past that I say go for the 5 speed. I love a manual so i am a little biased there but you should be able to find a good one for somewhere between $250 and 500.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:36 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

What is the service time/mileage for the 545RFE or w/e? And where do I need to get it done at?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:17 PM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Sorry, I have no Idea there. Where are you located? I'm in alabama and we have a guy here that is pretty awesome with Mopar stuff.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:23 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by wewanaplay
Sorry, I have no Idea there. Where are you located? I'm in alabama and we have a guy here that is pretty awesome with Mopar stuff.
I'm in Madison/Huntsville Alabama. Who is the guy?

Old 03-14-2010, 12:36 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Well Im going to take it to votech and put it on the lift and changed the fluid and check it all out. I really hate dodge autos and I know if I had a 5 speed in my truck I would love it. Im going to see what I can do to help it out just off hand do you know how much it takes to fill up?

Old 03-14-2010, 01:22 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

At the moment I forget his name but the shop is Talladega Trans service in Talladega AL. And no Ram guy, I'm not too sure exactly how much it takes but I THINK it's 9 qts.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:24 AM
wewanaplay
Veteran

Nick Medlin at Reliable Transmission in Talladega is also pretty good. But he's a real D*#k

Old 03-14-2010, 01:28 PM
00kota-da
Default 545rfe

Are you getting any codes.I got a P845.Selenoid pac. My tranny turnned out to be fried.$400.00 for the tranny.$500.00 to install.$70.00 filters.$50.00 fluid.Engine starts wont go into gear.Welcome to my world.See if your getting trouble codes.So far it sounds inexspensive.

Quick Reply: Tranny acting odd