2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Unique trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 12:03 AM
gary dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1999 Dakota R/T 5.9,that won't shift into overdrive, 1st,2nd,and 3rd work perfect--light comes on dash when I push the overdrive off button but no response because truck is still in third? Does anyone have any input for me? Yes i'm new to this forum............

Old 03-17-2010, 09:14 AM
MassiveDakota

Originally Posted by 00kota-da
have you considered re-flashing the TCM.I also have a 2000 SLT 4x4 4.7lt.Just changed the tranny yesterday. I also have 1st &2nd only.They recommend re-flashing it in the shop manual for changes.This might help.What do you think guys.
i have already replaced the tcm let me know if you find a solution to your problem

Old 03-17-2010, 09:15 AM
MassiveDakota

Originally Posted by gary dakota
I have a 1999 Dakota R/T 5.9,that won't shift into overdrive, 1st,2nd,and 3rd work perfect--light comes on dash when I push the overdrive off button but no response because truck is still in third? Does anyone have any input for me? Yes i'm new to this forum............
there are a ton of threads on your problem, just do a search,,, and if you dont find a solution then you can start your own thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:20 AM
MassiveDakota

Originally Posted by MassiveDakota
there are a ton of threads on your problem, just do a search,,, and if you dont find a solution then you can start your own thread
found this answer on another site:

"
For whatever reason your overdrive clutch isn't transmitting power to the planetary geartrain. The overdrive clutch is on for third and fourth gear. If the fluid wasn't burnt and it hadn't been slipping before this started I would suspect clutch failure. Most likely you have a planetary geartrain failure of some sort. The overdrive clutches spline to a hub, the hub has shaft welded to it, on the end of this shaft is another set of splines that engages a sun gear. This hub is driven by the clutch, and the hub drives the sun gear. It's not unheard of for these hubs to break or strip, and then no power is transmitted to the geartrain when the clutch is applied. This is why it revs up like it's in nuetral when it tries to shift into third, it basically is in nuetral. You're going to have to disassemble the trans and have a close look at the geartrain and the overdrive clutch. It's very likely you have a broken or stripped overdrive clutch hub."

Quick Reply: Unique trans issues