2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Unique trans issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 11:26 AM
MassiveDakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Unique trans issues

Hey all, as you can see im new to this board, but have been researching alot on it, yet I can't seem to findany situation similar to mine. I have a 2000 Dakota 4x4 with the 4.7L. Its also lifted 10" w/ 35's on it ( if thats relivent )

The issue is that the truck will not shift into 3rd or 4th (OD). When i place it in drive it stays in first and will only shift into second if I give it full throttle. If i dont it seems to slip. But heres where it confuses me, if i run it in 2nd instead of Drive then it will shift from first to 2nd flawlessly But will still not go into 3rd of 4th.

When I First ran the codes I got the P1698 aswell as improper gear ration in 1st, 3rd and 4th. Today I cleared all the codes, checked all fuseable links and wires and took it for a ride. IT acted the same way but now only throws a p0700 code.

Its not in limp mode bc i have first, and it shifts hard w/ no slipping in 2nd, so im lead to believe its not a mechanical problem but more of a elitrical one.

Where should i start?

I appreciate any and all help. Thank you!

Last edited by MassiveDakota; 03-14-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:46 AM
MadisonDakota
All Star

What axle ratio are you running?

Old 03-14-2010, 11:57 AM
MassiveDakota

I believe its 3.55:1

Old 03-14-2010, 12:11 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

How long have you run those tires? I think it may be mechanical, but i'm not a transmission tech.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:17 PM
MassiveDakota

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
How long have you run those tires? I think it may be mechanical, but i'm not a transmission tech.
It has ran on 35's for about 4 years.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:30 PM
MassiveDakota

Also, it has absolutly no grinding or metal shavings in the pan at all. When placed in 2nd it runs perfectly but just will not go into 3rd or 4th. Maybe a speed sensor? or would that throw a code?

I was thinking Selenoid pack, but wouldn't that throw it in limp mode?

Could the tcm just need replaced?

as you can tell im grasping as straws here! lol

Old 03-15-2010, 03:35 PM
MassiveDakota

anyone?

Old 03-15-2010, 06:13 PM
miggity

Sounds like the front speed sensor to me. Mine acted the same way when the front sensor went caput. It didn't throw a check engine light right away. Took about 5 or 6 starts before the light came on. Not shifting past 2nd is also a symptom of Governor Pressure Solenoid, which doesn't always throw a light. I would start with the speed sensor. If that doesn't do it, things could get interesting.

It does not, however, sound mechanical in nature. Good luck!

- miggity

Last edited by miggity; 03-15-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: terribad speeling r teh win
Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 AM
MassiveDakota

Originally Posted by miggity
Sounds like the front speed sensor to me. Mine acted the same way when the front sensor went caput. It didn't throw a check engine light right away. Took about 5 or 6 starts before the light came on. Not shifting past 2nd is also a symptom of Governor Pressure Solenoid, which doesn't always throw a light. I would start with the speed sensor. If that doesn't do it, things could get interesting.

It does not, however, sound mechanical in nature. Good luck!

- miggity
thanks for the reply! I was wondering about those myself, but wasn't sure if i wanted to drop the money just to see, but as im running out of options i might need to go that route

Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 PM
00kota-da

have you considered re-flashing the TCM.I also have a 2000 SLT 4x4 4.7lt.Just changed the tranny yesterday. I also have 1st &2nd only.They recommend re-flashing it in the shop manual for changes.This might help.What do you think guys.

Quick Reply: Unique trans issues