2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sony XPLOD Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:04 PM
QuadCabDak
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Sony XPLOD Help!!!

Hi everyone,

I'm 17 and I recently got a 2000 Dakota Quad Cab 2wd hand me down from my parents which is a basket case with high mileage, hence why it was just given to me. It was a you fix it you have it kind of deal. Today i installed my sony xplod deck which i just took out of my old car (it's only a couple months old). The stereo works perfectly when it's on tuner, but when you switch it to cd it reads it then goes "FAILURE" and wont play the cd, but when you switch it back to tuner it plays perfectly again. It never did this in the old car, did I wire it up wrong or is the deck messed? Any ideas?

Old 04-04-2010, 12:09 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 04-04-2010, 12:17 PM
crateampsrock
Veteran

i vote he has anger issues...lol and yes, sony does suck.. I HAD 2 Sony explod 12's, 600 watt sony amp....sounded like ***, got a 222w cheap o amp, and 1 visonek sub from wal-mart, knocked the pants off the sonys... Now i got 2 JL audio 12's with a Memphis amp... it will actually vibrate my rear view mirror out of the socket...

Old 04-04-2010, 12:38 PM
QuadCabDak

Thanks for the replies, I don't know much about stereos thats why i left my trust into bestbuy, which i see is a terrible mistake, "Kenwoods are garbage, buy this sony, it's amazing" So would i be safe to say it's messed or is there anyway i screwed it up, i didnt mention before that the truck has an infinity sound system and i HAD to buy a special harness for it or it wouldn't really work with the truck.

Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

If the tuner works but the CD player is not working, my guess is that its broken and ready for the circular file. Nothing to fix in there.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

id say its fubared. Stick with Pioneer decks, even their low end stuff is built to last.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:21 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I have a sony head unit in my truck and I love it I have yet to have any type of problems with it(knock on wood) Its a lil over a year old and has put up with everything.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:25 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Try pressing the reset button on the Sony deck. See if it will play a CD after that. If not, the only things I can think of are being sure the unit is supported correctly. You didn't drop it by any chance did you? Did you happen to put any mounting screws into the sides or the back of the unit to support it in the mounting kit and sleeve? If so, remove all the screws and see if it works then. Those are dumb questions I know, but I have seen it in the past. If none of these conditons apply, somehow the unit had an internal failure when you powered it back up when you installed it in your truck. A good car audio shop can bench test and repair it for you. Or it might be cheaper just to get a new deck. You can get a good one for about 100 bucks nowadays. Or since you said the Sony is only 2 months old, maybe the store where you bought it will exchange it for a new one.

Jimmy

Old 04-07-2010, 02:58 AM
User
Champion

Sony ps3 is the only thing i own, everything else is trash. They use to make good TVs, but hell even that went downhill, Sony has NEVER made anything worth a **** in the car audio department... Stick to the name brand audio ****. I have always been an Alpine guy. The only thing that made my 5 year old alpine sub, and 6 year old alpine amp stop working was the fire when my truck burnt down, and the water from the fire fighters putting it out ****ed my amp up... otherwise it was probably salvageable.

Just my .02

Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 PM
QuadCabDak

Thanks for the tips! I tried resetting it but that did absolutely nothing. I know I didn't drop it either. I pulled it straight from the car and walked further up the driveway and installed it in the truck. I don't know if it didn't like being tugged around or what but in that time is stopped working. I have another question though. Since I have the infinity sound system I had to buy some special harness that had to plug into the back of my deck instead of being wired right in because aparently if i just spliced it in the sound would be incredably lound when my volume was only on level 1 or 2 and sound like crap (or so best buy said), but with this special harness my music isn't loud...at all, not even as loud on max as the factory system was which sucks. Has anybody ever spliced their deck in with the infinity system and tried it? Or am I all wrong with everything (like I said earlier, I don't know anything about stereos, just mechanical stuff)

Quick Reply: Sony XPLOD Help!!!