2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

More transmission rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:24 PM
greenfyredragon
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More transmission rebuild questions

I'm preparing to rebuild my 42RE transmission in my '01 Dakota 3.9L. So far I've never done any automotive work that was so in-depth as a transmission rebuild; although I'm not afraid do dive headfirst into such a project, and although I've done some research, I definitely could use some further advice.

Someone reccomended I install a clutch kit (or perhaps the correct term is shift kit) while I have the transmission dissasembled, and I think I'd like to take that advice.
I've only heard the pro's about such an upgrade, so if there are any known con's, I'd like to hear them too.
I'm not neccisarily looking for racing quality, just enough to make my truck a little more fun to drive than the average Dakota. Does anyone have any reccomendations for brands that can be trusted for their quality?

I also need reccomendations on where to purchase my Transmission rebuild kit. I'd like to go with B&M, but they don't carry a kit for the 42RE transmission. I've seen the kits on ebay for as little as $130, but I'd rather spend twice as much to get something I can count on.

While I'm rebuilding the transmission, are there any other parts I should repair or replace? What are the determining factors in whether or not to replace torque converters?

Do I need to purchase a shop manual or rebuild-instructions specific to my vehicle? If so, what brands are trustworthy?

Absolutely ANY useful information, no matter how obvious it may seem, would be greatly appreciated. I know I need to keep everything as clean and organized as possible, I know I should label all the parts as I remove them, and I know to avoid lint-producing products such as paper towels and rags, but other than that I'm nearly clueless.

Old 04-17-2010, 05:08 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by greenfyredragon

I also need reccomendations on where to purchase my Transmission rebuild kit. I'd like to go with B&M, but they don't carry a kit for the 42RE transmission. I've seen the kits on ebay for as little as $130, but I'd rather spend twice as much to get something I can count on.
try transgo

Quick Reply: More transmission rebuild questions