2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Improving MPG

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:58 PM
egent02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving MPG

Anyone done anything to improve their mpg? I was thinking about putting a cold air intake in but i didn't know if it made a big enough difference to put it in or not so just wondering if anyone else has done anything?

Old 04-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

use the search filter before posting generic questions like this there are tons of threads with this question, and always ends up in heated arguement

Old 04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use the search. This thing has been beaten to death a thousand times. It's all common sense anyway. We are not getting into this one again. NO way homie. Search the forum you will find about 20 different threads on it....

Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

I don't mind beating...this dead horse.

No to the cold air, no to an exhaust mod. If you want to improve your gas mileage, pump your tires to the max PSI and drive slowly and run gas that doesn't have ethanol in it.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:46 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like its been said use the search I do sometimes but really I get tired of searching through 1,000 pages of people saying this and that and getting off topic but really cai's do help a bit prob wont see more than a 2 mpg increase but every little helps also check ur plugs see if they look good and are in spec's also another thing that really helps is dont run gas with ethanol in it. When im low next time im going to drive the extra 15 mi to the gas station that doesnt have ethanol in it and see how my truck reacts to it. Another thing a lot of people over look is brakes if your brakes are dragging even a little bit that will cost you mpgs so make sure your wheels spin with out to much effort.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:14 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I use Marvel Mystery Oil in my fuel. 2 or 2 1/2 ounces per each 10 gallons. It helps offset the negative efects of ethanol, it acts as an upper cylinder lubricant and helps improve compression. I add it every time I buy gas, unless I am running a fuel system cleaner. I used to run Regane evry 5000 miles as a fuel injector and fuel system cleaner. Tonight I bought a bottle of Red Line Sl-1 and added it in the tank and filled up on Texaco 87. I have been reading a lot online about the Red Line, and so far I have to say my truck seems to have a noticable power improvement. It just seems and feels a bit stronger. Red Line is supposed to help on MPG too, but I need to drive it and see how it does.

Here where I live in Florida there are no gas stations around that sell 100% gas any more. To help my MPG I inflated my tires to 40 psi cold and I only buy quality name brand gas, usually Shell or Texaco. I keep my air filter clean. I change my plugs, distributor cap and rotor every 20,000 miles, plug wires get changed every 40,000 miles. I use Autolite 3923 plugs and Napa brass cap and rotor and Belden premium wires from Napa.

Best thing you can do though is drive the speed limit, don't do any jack rabbit starts or slam on the brakes panic stops, coast in neutral when you can if you have a manual, be easy on the gas pedal and drive sensibly and carefully. I get 17 to 18 or a little better combined highway and city driving. I have a 3.9 V6 and a 5-speed manual and have 126,600 miles on my truck.

Jimmy

Old 04-22-2010, 08:40 AM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ he summed it up pretty good.

It's all common sense physics. Make you vehicle use the least energy to move from A to B. To do this make sure all is in good working order, then drive easy. It's not rocket science.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:07 PM
egent02

yeah i tried searching on here but i got tired of looking so then i googled it and didn't have much help there other forums people were giving so much help by saying drive down hill or push it lol so figured i'd ask you guys

Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by egent02
yeah i tried searching on here but i got tired of looking so then i googled it and didn't have much help there other forums people were giving so much help by saying drive down hill or push it lol so figured i'd ask you guys
Well Ill tell you a little secret if you want to improve mpg drive down hill or push it lol I recommend the pushing cause you also get a work out at the same time.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:00 PM
00dakSport
All Star

you want to help ur trucks mpg then maintain it as best you can. fluids,filters,
tire pressure etc. i always change my oil a little early just cause after i do it feels better.

before you drop cash on any mod for your mpg make sure you like what your getting
cause it could do nothing for your mpg, or make it worse.

Quick Reply: Improving MPG