2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Tires for 01 Dakota?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 01:52 PM
spyrodrossos
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for 01 Dakota?

Im a new owner of a 01 Dakota Quad Cab SLT. Im looking to put some new mud tires on it. What is this best way to do this for the best price? Should I shop online or go local? Please help me out thank you.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:14 PM
SpencerS
Captain

depending on how many tire outlets you have in your town, it will usually be cheaper to do it locally because usually if you buy the tires from them they will mount and blance for free. The Discount Tire Outlet in my town mounted and balanced for free with a half off on the alignment.

You can find some good prices on summitracing.com and 4wheelonline.com, but you will have to find a place that will mount them for you and its usually around 70-80 bucks for them to mount them.

Shop around town first then check prices online and compare is your best bet.

Happy hunting!

Old 04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pep boys is a good place if you have one they always have the deal buy 3 tires get the 4th one free I dont know if there is a certain brand it has to be or what but its worth a call at least.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:52 PM
TylerH860

Keep in mind the more aggressive the tread, the noisier, less comfortable, and harder your truck to manage it is on regular roads. By lifting and going with a larger diameter you are also increasing your stopping length, posing a safety hazard to yourself and other motorists. Resale is another consideration as well.

The stock Goodyears that came on the Sport Model Dakotas and Jeep Wranglers is a great middle of the road tire that will get you through most situations easily. I used to take my old one offroading/mudding occasionally and never got stuck. They also put out acceptable sound levels on paved roads, and don't throw your speedometer out of whack because of the difference in diameter.

Last edited by TylerH860; 04-22-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:03 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

BF Goodrich all terrains TA K/O
Or
General Grabber AT2's
or
Firestone Destination A/T
Or
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor
Or
Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac

All Five are all terrains. Good for Snow/Rain/Light off roading/Light Mudding
Great on road traction. Great Off road traction.
Also, get them in a tire shop. When you have a problem, you will have a place to go. If you buy them online your kinda **** outta luck if you get stuck or something and usually you have to pay for shipping, basically, it ends up costing the same or more than a local shop.

Last edited by CSCustomCars; 04-23-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 AM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Originally Posted by CSCustomCars
BF Goodrich all terrains TA K/O
Firestone Destination A/T
All three are all terrains. Good for Snow/Rain/Light off roading/Light Mudding
Great on road traction. Great Off road traction.
Also, get them in a tire shop. When you have a problem, you will have a place to go. If you buy them online your kinda **** outta luck if you get stuck or something and usually you have to pay for shipping, basically, it ends up costing the same or more than a local shop.
I have had both of those tires on my truck in 31/10.50/15. The Firestones are, IMHO, superior as to both price and all other tire concerns (wet/dry/snow traction, noise, wear, etc). Specifically, I have about 60,000 miles on them now and am thinking they will be getting replaced this fall. That is pretty decent, especially considering that I tend to be pretty abusive towards rear tires. They handle extremely well. The traction is good all around. They are not obnoxiously loud. And, they are decently priced.

As for the rest of what he said...

Old 04-23-2010, 08:49 AM
00dakSport
All Star

i have the wranlgler a/t 31/10.5/15 on my spare and it looks pretty good i'll probally get 4
of those this summer. they are the same size as my current tire but when i put it next to them it looks an inch taller. alot of lug on em. might be louder but looks beter then my a/s tires.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:02 PM
chickenlights
Amateur

i am not a fan of good year tires anymore since i friend bought a set of the mtrs. they were bald in 10000 miles and he didn't have any alighment issues. i have had Dick Cepek mud countrys for three years now. i even switched them over from my 96 dakota to my 00 dakota. proly an estimated 60000 on them and they still have 30 % left.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I dont know if its just the rams but the goodyears or suckyears as the ram owners call them I hate them the goodyears on our ram is what led to the 4,500 repair job mind you there was only 13,000 miles on the tires. I love my bfg a/t's they are a lil bit more $$$ but they are a great tire to have only thing that left me stuck was ice on a hill which no tire would of made it anyway. For how aggressive they are they are not that loud or that stiff of a ride. When I need new tires im getting them again cause I love them.

Heres my 31x10.5x15
IMG_0366.jpg

This is the only good shot I have of the tread
IMG_6714.jpg

Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM
spyrodrossos

Thank you everyone that posted you all helped out a lot. Yeah, I think im just going to go with those All-terrian tires maybe those Silent Armors. I heard a lot of good things about those. Also, does your guy's oil pressure flucuate on your dakota's? I have heard this is normal, but I have also read online that its a serious problem. Mine never gets dangerously low or dangeruosly high, so im not too worried. Get back to me thanks!

Quick Reply: Tires for 01 Dakota?