2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

2000 dakota transfer case popping out

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:27 AM
2nd hand dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 dakota transfer case popping out

so ive got a 2000 dakota with 5.9, a manual trans, and a 231j listed on the identification tag. i've got a couple of questions: the 231 j is easily identified with jeeps but i haven't found hardly anything on web about 231 j being associated with dodge dakota's?

second and more alarming, i just bought this. had it test drove and tight at time. drove half way home on 250 mile trip and 100 miles from home it popped out of 2w high and began grinding. wound stay in 2h or 4h. i could keep it in 4l but speed would have shelled case im sure. i towed home and next morning it would shift through all ranges. drove about 10 miles and it started same thing (popping out of 2w range to neutral with grinding like not engaged).

so i looked over and the transfer case looks like a recent rebuild, ive contacted the seller to get some info about a possible warranty. the linkage looks tight no slippage of lock nut. case tight and dry, like recent rebuild. checked oil level and plenty full- not sure of oil dexon vs atf+4 thou. would that make a huge difference even after i drove it 150+ miles without any problems?

i would guess the shift selector or detent is jacked up or something.

really need some help with this situation and suggestions before i take to mechanic to get overcharged for possible simple fix.

ps. im considering changing fluild to atf+4 just to be sure.

thanx ==appreciate any replys

Old 05-23-2010, 12:36 AM
2nd hand dakota
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so this might go against forum rules...but 2 update the viewers. i took it down to local transmission shop and after driving and checking linkage i gave them the go ahead to break it down on the thoughts that it may be a shift fork. The shift fork was wearing but as a result of a wrong seal that tore and was stuck inbetween the shift fork and range shift fork hub gear. thats the general he'll update when its done.

but ive a second question: ive searched the np231 series and the dakota's use the 231D for 3.9 and 4.7 MT. I have the 5.9 and ive not found any references for the transfer case used. Mine like posted was the 231J but that was used primarily in Jeeps, and 4/6 cylinders, not big V8's.

if you have any links or references-id appreciate that.

Quick Reply: 2000 dakota transfer case popping out