2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

what is wrong

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 PM
chriscolon64
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is wrong

i did an engine swap on a 02 dakota 4.7 to a 03 4.7. now that everything is hooked up and it should be starting up it does'nt. it acts like the timing is off. tried

Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

did you swap pcm's?

Old 05-21-2010, 10:01 PM
chriscolon64

no, I didnt know that any electrical parts had to be changed. Anything other then pcm ????

Old 05-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

i actually dont think you would need to swap pcms. i would start out by rechecking all the connections. make sure you didnt bend any blades. make sure the crank and cam sensors were not damaged.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:18 AM
CSCustomCars
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

You swapped the engine, but did you swap anything else? Was it just the mechanical engine parts, no electrical stuff (Except stuff like coils, or injectors)?

If so, is it cranking? Do you have fuel? Do you have spark? You need 4 things for an engine to run - Compression, Fuel, Air and Spark. Chances are your not getting one. Like independentfool said, you may have a bad crank or cam sensor. This would cause a no spark condition. Check to see if you have spark. If you, check your fuel pressure. My money is either spark or fuel. If you have all of this, then the problem is electrical and something isn't hooked up right, or the PCM isn't receiving a signal from some sensor. If this is the case, you'll need to get your hands on a scan tool, or a DRB 3. Not just a code reader, although a code reader may help in diagnosis of the no start. If you have a code, it should help. Although, a scan tool will be able to tell you if the PCM is getting a signal from all the sensors it needs to get a signal from in order to allow cranking.

Quick Reply: what is wrong