2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Clutch Fan removal/ E Fan questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:15 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Fan removal/ E Fan questions

I have read alot about the clutch fan removal, and I think it sounds good but I am still hesitant to do it. I have a 2004 Quad Cab w/ the 3.7L V6.

Question #1- my truck only has 22k miles on it and is still under the factory 7yr/ 70k warranty until next April, so would doing this void my warranty?

#2- I am sure that I would need an E-fan, because I live in Florida and it's about 700 degrees outside every day, and I drive almost 120 miles per day. One traffic jam w/ out a cooling fan and bye-bye motor. SOOOO....how hard is it to install an e-fan?

#3- does anyone make an E-Fan that kicks on automatically when the temp reaches a certain point? I used to have a Saturn w/ an E-Fan, when sitting too long the temp gauge would get to the 1/2 way point and then the fan would kick on. That's what I want, I do not want to have to manually kick the fan on.

#4- what kind of REALISTIC hp and MPG gains will I get from this? I am more concerned about MPG than HP, but another 5-10 horses wouldnt be a bad thing.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:42 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

It will void the warranty if you don't put it back on when you go back to the stealership.

Efan isn't hard to install, get one from the junk yard and buy a thermostat controlled fan controller, i forget the real name.

I don't think I noticed an MPG benefit from it, but I quit testing because I got tired of it. haha

Old 05-22-2010, 04:46 PM
tamcnally
Veteran

Your 04 3.7 has a factory clutch fan and a thermostatically controlled efan. So just take off your clutch fan and you will be fine.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:08 PM
Independentfool
Veteran

click the 2 links in my signature to see what products i used. The install process is quite easy, other than finding the switched 12v source. I tapped into my radio switched source since i have a pioneer stereo and the harness adapter has that wire clearly labeled.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:11 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You can buy an automatic switch kit from www.summitracing.com You just have to install a sensor for the kit on to the intake manifold. Then set the kit to the temp you want to to come on to. And of coarse all the wires.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

u wont really see an increase in mpg maybe 1mpg

Old 05-25-2010, 10:22 AM
MikeCzipri
Professional

1mpg would be fantastic. I drive 3000+ miles per month. An increase of 1mpg would mean that I would save about $30-35 a month in gas. That's almost $400 per year. That e-fan would pay for itself in a year. Sounds good to me.

Here is the main question- if my truck has an e-fan AND clutch fan, why would they do that? If JUST the e-fan was sufficient, why wouldn't the just stick with that? Why include a clutch fan also? I have to think that Dodge knew why they were doing this....and I am also in Florida and one traffic jam in 95 degree weather would be a recipe for disaster if that stock e-fan cant keep up....just wondering....

Old 05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker

U would wanna put a 180* tstat in urs and it'll be fine User lives in TX and has a decked out truck and he says his is fine

Old 05-25-2010, 04:35 PM
MadisonDakota
All Star

Originally Posted by MikeCzipri
1mpg would be fantastic. I drive 3000+ miles per month.
Might I suggest a car?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:37 PM
MikeCzipri
Professional

Originally Posted by MadisonDakota
Might I suggest a car?
No, because then I couldnt tow my boat, haul dirt and mulch, or do the myriad of other things that a truck does. Trucks>cars

Quick Reply: Clutch Fan removal/ E Fan questions