2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 01:15 AM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission Problem

I dropped the pan from the tranny to change the filter and noticed some small pieces of what looked like clutch material. Since I replaced the filter and fluid, I have noticed that the transmission will now let the engine rev about 200-300 rpm before it shifts now. I thought that maybe I didnt put enough tranny fluid in, but I checked it last night and today after driving the truck for awhile and it is fine. This a sign that the trans needs rebuilt? With the engine revving a little between shifts, is this a sign of the torque convertor going out as well? I will be doing the rebuild myself, and I would hate to put it all back together just to find out the tourqe convertor or the control solenoid is bad. Any help with suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:57 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like its slipping. I dont care what anyone says...anytime you open the tranny to air, IE a flush or drain, you're opening a can of worms... ya dodge says flush it...but screw that... I work at Midas as a tech, and we try to avoid doing flushes for that very reason. Its a sealed system and you're exposing it to the elements. The best way to service a tranny is with a fluid exchanger. you change out ALL the fluid and dont expose any of the systems to the elements. we usually tap in the cooling lines on the radiator and exchange the fluid that way. tranny pump is running into the machine and machine is pumping new fluid into the system...all fluid gets exchanged this way. a drain and fill by pulling the pan is asking for trouble IMO... but from what you've said it sounds like its slipping. any CEL?

Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 AM
95_318SLT
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, sounds like its time for a rebuild! And if you ask anyone who rebuilds transmissions, they'll all tell you to replace the TC no matter what.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:14 AM
crateampsrock
Veteran

hell, now would be the perfect time to upgrade it...they make kits with bigger and stronger components...dont cost much...$150... who doesnt like an upgrade? Id LOVE a beefed up tranny...

Old 06-01-2010, 11:31 AM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far I havent seen a CEL come up, but who says it wont. Who sell's the rebuild kit for $150? The cheapest I can find them are $245 with shipping. So far it actually feels like it is shifting better, but it still isnt up to par. So, within the next 2-3 weeks, I will be getting a rebuild kit, tourqe convertor, and maybe a control solenoid just to be on the same side.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Rustbelt Quad

I just had about the same problem with my 2000 Quad 4.7. Changed fluid and filters. Bought the filters at O'Reily's. Let the truck sit for over a day and when I put it in gear it wouldn't move unless I reved it up a little. Took it to a trans shop and they couldn't see anything wrong. They swapped out both filters and the seal for the pancake filter. They got the filters from Dodge. Everything has been working great since then. The guy said that sometimes the check valves in the after market filters dont work the way they are supposed to.

Quick Reply: Transmission Problem