2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Clunk in front end, in reverse only?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 10:08 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Clunk in front end, in reverse only?

I have a 2001 Dakota, 2 wheel drive with about 130,000 miles on it now. Several times yesterday I heard a clunk or loud pop type noise that seems to come from the left front wheel area. I do not feel it in the steering wheel or the floorboard. It only happens once and it only happens when I am backing up. It is more pronounced if I am backing out of a parking space with the wheels turned to the right.

I took a quick look under the front end last night when I got home but did not have time to put it up on jack stands for a closer look. I didn't see or feel anything out of the ordinary though. I replaced the lower ball joints and stabilizer bar end links a few months ago. Outer tie rod ends are about 2 years old now. Upper ball joints and inner tie rod ends are original. The odd thing is the clunk only happens once when I start moving in reverse with the wheels turned to the right. The clunk is not present when going over bumps at slow speeds and there is no noise at all unless the truck is parked for a while(at least an hour)first. Once I get moving forward there is no noise at all. Steering is not loose, truck does not pull to either side.

I am stumped. I appreciate any ideas or help here. Thanks.

Jimmy

Old 06-12-2010, 10:38 PM
dakota19762
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look at your upper control arm bolts( look down next to the motor) I will bet you will see shiny metal around the bolts. 22mm socket and get it realigned!

Old 06-13-2010, 10:37 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

No, I replaced the stabilizer bar bushings and the upper ball joints and it is fine now. No noise or bump/clunk of any kind and it steers and drives like a new truck.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Clunk in front end, in reverse only?