2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

another exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:47 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another exhaust question

Went to a shop and talked to the guys there for a bit. My exhaust (purchased this way) is factory to the muffler, then a 1in2out Flowmaster 50, then it goes 2out to a little before the rear tires and dumps on each side. All 2 1/2" pipe, he said if I change to 2 2" pipes coming out that I would pick up my low-end again w/o too much loss on top-end. What do you guys think? There is only about 5ft of pipe on each side after muffler. Is that gonna make enough of a difference? It will cost $100 for them to replace and bend the pipe the way I want.
Thanks

Old 06-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Independentfool
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

waste of time. he just wants your money to do an unnecessary job.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:48 PM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well it actually goes with what I have read a couple other places, adding diameter better for top-end and subtracting diameter better for low-end. stock system is 2 1/2" single pipe, so technically if the amount of pipe is doubled, wouldn't you cut the diameter in half to stay the same? So I am thinking dropping 1/2 inch off both will help low end or do you think smaller like 1 3/4"?

Old 06-14-2010, 12:27 AM
Independentfool
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i see your logic, i really do. However, the difference would be so minimal its not worth it. Really. Save your money.

Quick Reply: another exhaust question