2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

98 fuel filler neck

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 02:55 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 98 fuel filler neck

Hey well my fuel filler neck is leaking badly couldnt find a cheap on ebay and dealers wanted like 300 for one but found one today for 30.00 only thing is its from a 02 and 4.7 not sure if it comes with the hoses or not I emailed the guy but thinking since the plastic hose is crimped on will I be able to get it off and put it on the new neck?

Last edited by dodgeramguy85; 05-08-2012 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:36 PM
2daks
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I edited this because I thought about it and it looks like its all one assembly. Looking at mine I doubt that the metal will come off the plastic at the crimp. Mine was replaced a few years back and it has a mopar paper sticker on the metal part of it. I don't remember paying 300 for it, more like a 100 installed, but it's been a while. I was pissed then at a 100.

I have the bed off my 97 right now and went and looked. The plastic end nearest the tank is a quick connector. You pull straight back and it pops off the nipple on both tubes. Maybe take yours off and compare to the picture below or come up with a way to rig it.

I looked up 02 filler neck on Rockauto.com (Below pix) They don't list a neck for the 97 or 98 to compare.

Last edited by 2daks; 07-09-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: changed info
Old 07-09-2010, 08:11 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 2daks
I have the bed off my 97 right now and went and looked. The plastic end nearest the tank is a quick connector. You pull straight back and it pops off on both tubes and the nipple is on the tank. I looked at a 02 filler neck on Rockauto.com and its reversed, (Below pix) The quick connector body must stay on the tank because the nipple is on the end of the pipe.
They don't list a neck for the 97 or 98 to compare. If your looks like this it may work. Not sure when it changed. But come to think of it your pix shows the same corregated plastic as my 97 has and the 02 is all metal.

Alright well thanks for the help looks like ill have to look at the junk yard. Btw how hard was it to get your bed off?

Old 07-10-2010, 02:41 PM
2daks
Professional

Remove the spare and tailgate first. Get an area set up to place the bed in when you lift it off.
There are 8 bolts, shot them up a few days ahead of time with PB blaster. They are all threaded right into the truck bed. ( No nuts to deal with) If you look down into the front cargo strap tie downs you can see the ends of the front most bolts. 2 more you can see thru the rear wheel wells. The 2 rear most I grinded off because there was a rusted out POS trailer hitch in the way. ( Removed the hitch after the bed was off) If not for the hitch they would have come out too without grinding.
Took about an hour 1/2 all together. i used a 1/2" ratchet and my floor jack handle slipped over the end of the ratchet for a cheater bar. Think the bolts are 15 or 17MM. You'll need a couple extentions for the ratchet, 3 and 6 inchers. Air gun will work well too if you have one.

You have to remove the 3 or 4 screws around the filler neck and undo the two electrical connectors for the rear taillights back by the bumper.

My son and I lifted it straight up and carried it over to the grass grabbing it in the wheel wells. Maybe 250 lbs w/ the tailgate off. I was surprized it wasn't heavier.
We did this to get to the fuel pump, didn't want to mess with a full tank of gas. ( after we talked ourselves out of cutting a "access hole" thru the truck bed to get to the pump) Now we have a full blown project on our hands, be carefull what your doing you may end up doing the same. But really glad we did it this way, makes it alot easier to get to stuff after we seen what really needs replaced. Some of the brake lines are scary looking.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:20 AM
gambler12
Amateur

I just had mine replaced on my '98 also. Got one from a 2000 dakota. Had to use the rubber hose from the 2000 dak and not reuse the '98 dak hose. Cost 30.00 at the junkyard and my mechanic installed it for 30.00 for a total of 60.00.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:25 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by 2daks
Remove the spare and tailgate first. Get an area set up to place the bed in when you lift it off.
There are 8 bolts, shot them up a few days ahead of time with PB blaster. They are all threaded right into the truck bed. ( No nuts to deal with) If you look down into the front cargo strap tie downs you can see the ends of the front most bolts. 2 more you can see thru the rear wheel wells. The 2 rear most I grinded off because there was a rusted out POS trailer hitch in the way. ( Removed the hitch after the bed was off) If not for the hitch they would have come out too without grinding.
Took about an hour 1/2 all together. i used a 1/2" ratchet and my floor jack handle slipped over the end of the ratchet for a cheater bar. Think the bolts are 15 or 17MM. You'll need a couple extentions for the ratchet, 3 and 6 inchers. Air gun will work well too if you have one.

You have to remove the 3 or 4 screws around the filler neck and undo the two electrical connectors for the rear taillights back by the bumper.

My son and I lifted it straight up and carried it over to the grass grabbing it in the wheel wells. Maybe 250 lbs w/ the tailgate off. I was surprized it wasn't heavier.
We did this to get to the fuel pump, didn't want to mess with a full tank of gas. ( after we talked ourselves out of cutting a "access hole" thru the truck bed to get to the pump) Now we have a full blown project on our hands, be carefull what your doing you may end up doing the same. But really glad we did it this way, makes it alot easier to get to stuff after we seen what really needs replaced. Some of the brake lines are scary looking.

Well thats not bad I just think it will be easier to under coat the frame and stuff with the bed off plus I can do a few other things while its off also.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:26 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by gambler12
I just had mine replaced on my '98 also. Got one from a 2000 dakota. Had to use the rubber hose from the 2000 dak and not reuse the '98 dak hose. Cost 30.00 at the junkyard and my mechanic installed it for 30.00 for a total of 60.00.
Yeah thats what I figured I would have to do.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:51 AM
michaelross

Originally Posted by gambler12
I have found an aftermarket fuel filler neck on ebay but sadly, when it got shipped to me, it does not fit. I was quite disappointed because the seller actually gave me the made in china part which he did not mention before. Yeah, it was cheap but i wont be able to use it.. Geesh.

Last edited by michaelross; 08-09-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 98 fuel filler neck