2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

What is Chrysler doing wrong to make their paint so crappy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 03:10 PM
ramjamhemi
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the issue with paint has been that the primer is powdercoated, and very succeptable to degrading when exposed to UV light. Dodge's problem was in an effort to save some $$, they apply a thinest layer of paint over the top of the primer. When UV light get's through the top layer of paint, it breaks down the primer and causes the paint to flake off, sometimes in big sheets. The best protection is to keep it out of the sun as much as possible. If you do repaint the bad areas, a good sanding is necessary as well as making sure to apply multiple layers of paint so it won't happen again.

Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

I'm looking to get quotes to have my truck all re-done, and in quote's, i've been making the words "Done properly: complete etching and/or sanding of existing paint, clearcoat, and primer, as needed" in large, bold font. Because it's no secreet that factories, in effort of $$, will apply the thinnest layer of primer, paint, clear as possible.

I saw a show once, where they showed the Toyota vehicles getting paint-dipped, instead of sprayed. Why can't the other OEM's be smart like that?

Old 08-10-2010, 09:43 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I tried (and failed) to get the paint looking right on my roof this past weekend. I wet sanded and sprayed 4 or 5 more coats of Duplicolor rattle can silver, wet sanded that, and then sprayed 4 coats of Krylon rattle can clear. It looked really bad. The paint didn't match at all and the finish was really dull and no amount of sanding would make the rattle can clear look good.

So I had a body shop sand and re-paint and clear coat the roof today, and it looks great now, shiny and matching paint on the roof again. It cost me $300.00 but was worth every penny. The guy that painted it was an older guy that knew what he was doing and did a great job. Other than some very slight cracking and hazing of the clear coat at the top edges of the rear window panels, and a couple of minor scratches and dings in the sides of the bed, my truck looks almost like brand new. I will try to keep the panels above the back windows waxed and maybe slow down the crazing of the clear coat there, but my truck looks good now.

Jimmy

Old 08-10-2010, 10:10 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

You know it's funny, but my '04 has been sitting in the southern sun in either Florida or Georgia since the day I took it home in April of '04 and the paint is still perfect.

My good hunting buddy just made a comment to me the other day about how crappy GM paint is as his '02 Z71 is SHOT! Peeling clear coat all over the thing and his metallic pewter paint is bone white in spots.

He commented that his next truck is gonna be a Dodge because of how good my paint still looks.

I read Furd owners bit*hing about it on the Furd forums too, so I don't think it's just a Chrysler thing...

Old 08-10-2010, 11:26 PM
SpencerS
Captain

hahahaa "furd"

Old 08-11-2010, 12:24 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by 01SilverCC
I tried (and failed) to get the paint looking right on my roof this past weekend. I wet sanded and sprayed 4 or 5 more coats of Duplicolor rattle can silver, wet sanded that, and then sprayed 4 coats of Krylon rattle can clear. It looked really bad. The paint didn't match at all and the finish was really dull and no amount of sanding would make the rattle can clear look good.

So I had a body shop sand and re-paint and clear coat the roof today, and it looks great now, shiny and matching paint on the roof again. It cost me $300.00 but was worth every penny. The guy that painted it was an older guy that knew what he was doing and did a great job. Other than some very slight cracking and hazing of the clear coat at the top edges of the rear window panels, and a couple of minor scratches and dings in the sides of the bed, my truck looks almost like brand new. I will try to keep the panels above the back windows waxed and maybe slow down the crazing of the clear coat there, but my truck looks good now.

Jimmy
I would LOVE if I could get my roof done for $300. IT's starting to rust where the duplicolor is peeling, after my barb-wire-fence-excursion.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by magnethead
I would LOVE if I could get my roof done for $300. IT's starting to rust where the duplicolor is peeling, after my barb-wire-fence-excursion.

I can get my whole truck done for cost of paint thats it. Only thing is would take about 2 or 3 weeks to get done. Cant do that now since tranny went in cj also needs a new rear axle now.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:09 AM
SpencerS
Captain

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I can get my whole truck done for cost of paint thats it. Only thing is would take about 2 or 3 weeks to get done. Cant do that now since tranny went in cj also needs a new rear axle now.
bad weld on those spider gears? hahhaha i kid i kid

Old 08-11-2010, 01:50 AM
magnethead
Legend

I'm wanting to have the bottom done in bedliner, if it would look good and last. And have the rest of the truck re-done in stock blue.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:32 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpencerS
bad weld on those spider gears? hahhaha i kid i kid
Nah my welds are never going to break anyway that was on the grand cherokee the cj tranny locked up doing 40 in 3rd ended up breaking the sheer key and took all the splines off the axle its kinda a good thing the axle went ,the amc 20 axle is weak cause its 2 piece going to swap out for a 1 piece

Quick Reply: What is Chrysler doing wrong to make their paint so crappy?