2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Bypassing the Heater Core and flushing cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bypassing the Heater Core and flushing cooling system

I am wanting to bypass my heater core for multiple reasons:

1) I want to do it so that I can flush my cooling system w/o any of the (perhaps) broken particles in my heater core spreading and clogging my radiator.

2) I can't tell if my passenger side carpet is sometimes wet because of my a/c not draining or if it is because of the heater core. So I am going to bypass the heater core and run the a/c like crazy and see if it still does it. I just don't want to wait to flush my cooling system (it is way overdue).

Where is it best to link the two heater hoses together?

Here at the firewall?
Photo0275.jpg

Here at the bend where it heads to the firewall? This may be hard to do since the metal fittings are perpendicular to one another.
Photo0276.jpg

Or here at the thermostat housing (I'm pretty sure that is what it is)?
Photo0273.jpg

I picked up a horseshoe section of heater hose and two couplers and 4 clamps to do the connection.

Side question: Does this fitting [below] come apart? I am wondering in case I ever replace the heater hoses.

Photo0274.jpg

If it has indeed been a while since my cooling system has been flushed (or had the correct amount of water to coolant ratio), should I add some kind of detergent to my flushing regiment? Or will a thorough flushing with a hose do the trick?

This next question is going to sound perhaps obvious and lame to some of you, but I have never flushed a cooling system before: Do I have to "properly" dispose of EVERY bit of water that goes through my cooling system? I imagine that I am going to have a large volume of (mostly) water from thoroughly flushing it. Can I just catch what is currently in there when I drain it and the beginnings of the flush (when coolant may still be included), and then let the rest of the water coming out (while flushing) to just run out onto the ground?? I don't want to poison any animals or contribute to pollution.

I am also concerned with flushing the heater core and possibly making any possible leaks worse. Thoughts?

Please don't mind the dirty engine bay. I bought engine degreaser and new wire loom conduit and electrical tape. I will be sprucing up my engine bay in the near future.

I wouldn't mind putting a DIY together on how to bypass the heater core if needbe after I am done with this for other noobies such as myself.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question No thoughts whatsoever?

Nothing? Really?

Quick Reply: Bypassing the Heater Core and flushing cooling system