2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Front Shocks.. what do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:38 AM
twitchy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd replace all 4 but since only the front are leaking, and since I am also getting other work done... That sorta exceeds the already bloated budget for the truck this month. Rears are still good to go for a while longer.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:43 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

saw the load-levers listed..rear only of course... how much difference is there between front and rear? I have almost zero front travel from big tires and V6 springs, and really don't wanna break the ball joint to add coil spacers or V8 coils.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:40 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have no idea how difficult it was to get the bolts lose on the rear shocks for me. They were the original shocks so they were on there.

I started with a 18" breaker bar on the nut and a wrench with a pipe on the nut and nothing was happening. Sprayed them with PB for the night and tried again. Nothing.

Then I heated them up and still nothing. So I went to work early one morning and used the compressor and impact gun. Nothing. I had that sucker on the highest setting too. It hurt too much to try and hold the wrench on the other side. I had to wedge it against the frame or axle. I tried tightening then loosening for awhile. Kept spraying them with PB.

This is a huge compressor and good impact gun too. Eventually I heated them up again and after awhile, came loose. It was wayyyy more difficult then should have been.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:40 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Was it because of the corrosion and salt/sand they put on the roads up north? I used to work with a guy at a Chrysler-Jeep dealership who was from PA and he said up there you have to work with a wrench in one hand and a torch in the other.

I am lucky I am in Florida and my truck is a Florida truck too, it was originally delivered and sold at a dealer in Venice, Florida about 2 hours south of here.

Jimmy

Old 08-12-2010, 12:26 AM
UncleStu

Salt & rust-frozen bolts- luckily, my truck was bought new at a NE Texas Dodge dealer, & has lived here its entire life. You sure have my sympaty- it sounds awful!

Front shocks- a few weeks ago, I voted with my $- although not much of it. Amazon had the Monroe Reflex fronts for 2wd Dakotas- pn 911137- for the grand total of $37.08 shipped for the pair! Sadly that price was gone the next day.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:16 AM
Rantz
Veteran

I didn't think about checking places other than shock warehouse and advance auto parts. Good idea.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:35 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rantz
I didn't think about checking places other than shock warehouse and advance auto parts. Good idea.
we've been ordering tons of race parts from amazon, for cheaper than summit or jegs. rocker arms, pushrods, hard-to-find fittings, Lucas racing oil, just crazy stuff.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:54 AM
Rantz
Veteran

I LOVE my Amazon Prime account. Free 2 day shipping and $4 overnight shipping. AWWESOME

Old 08-12-2010, 12:55 PM
twitchy
Professional

Seems I'll be gettin' either Sensa-Trac or Reflex today.
Depends on what can be sourced locally.

Sensa-Tracs are more likely apparently.
not sure though

Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would not buy Sensa Tracs. I had a set of them on my truck before I got my Reflex shocks and they were horrible. They were worn out at 25,000 miles, and the ride quality was really bad. The Reflex give a much better ride quality, stiff and firm like a truck should be. Sensa-Trac is more of a car type shock, it is not made for a truck. Get the Reflex and you will be a lot happier. There is not much of a price difference either, just a few bucks per shock.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Front Shocks.. what do you use?