2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

transmission trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 06:03 PM
DuckandDodge
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation transmission trouble

alright guys so for the past two days i have been having trouble with my transmission. when i press the accelerator from a stop the engine starts revving up normally and i move slowly. when i let off the brakes to move forward in a line i move very slow. that is all in drive, when i go through the first few gears manually everything feels normal. ohh and when it is in drive and it changes gears it kicks pretty hard.

bit of info
2001, 3.9, 2wd, 98xxx miles, no codes.

any help is appreciated! i have job training all this weekend and then school starts for me monday. so please guys give me some good news and tell me its an easy fix! ha

Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 PM
DuckandDodge
Professional

any ideas at all?

Old 08-14-2010, 12:57 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

so clutches are slipping down low in drive, but locking up at shift? But if you run it in 1-2-drive with OD off - drive with OD on, it's fine?

turning the OD-off button on and off in drive helps to differentiate wether or not it is the clutches or convertor/convertor solenoid.

Per my haynes manual:

"The models covered by this manual use either a 42RE, 46RE, or 46RFE four-speed ransmission with an electronic governor. These transmissions are equipped with a torque convertor clutch (TCC) that engages in fourth gear, and in third gear when the overdrive switch is turned off."

Having had my trans done, what I can tell you, is take it in now. I waited to have mine done, and pretty much wiped out the entire unit- the gears and case were the only things they re-used. convertor, pump, clutches, and clutch drum had literally came apart. made for a $2600 bill when all was said and done.

What I'm going to guess, is that somethign has gone amiss in the valve body. Check your fluid,m, make sure it's still bright red, isnt burned, and is full.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:05 AM
DuckandDodge
Professional

first of all, thanks for all the info. and it doesnt matter if od is on or off. the od button still works. when i try to push the pedal to the floor the transmission wont down shift to speed around someone or go up a bridge. and no matter how hard i push the pedal down from a stop 1st gear wont go past 3 grand ( btw it takes forever to get just to there.) and unless i manually put it in 1st gear. the fluid is correct color and amount as of yesterday. i put some tranny honey i there in there anyways with no differences at all today

i think i may either buy a rebuild kit and have a more experienced friend do it for me or just take it in to the shop

Old 08-15-2010, 02:42 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 161 Likes on 148 Posts

my darkhorse guess would be a damaged TV cable, my probable guess would be something in the valvebody, or a failed solenoid.

Quick Reply: transmission trouble