2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

How to raise 2wd front?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 12:24 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default How to raise 2wd front?

I have almost ZERO susension travel in the front. Doin 265/70-16, and there's about 1-1.5 inches between the tire and top of the fender. It was slightly less, but after a few bottom outs, the fender has bent itself into clearance (not too noticable though, mostly on inside).

Summit has the 1" spring spacers, which seems like a bargain. But do you have to break the ball joints to install them? Or is there a (cheap) compressing deal like they have for valve springs, so that I can just put it on jack stands, compress the spring, and slip the spacer under it? I'm sure the unsafe way is to use a ratchet strap.

They make the load-assist shocks for $80 more than standard shocks, but for the rear only. I know on my friend's 87 GMC, we got the load assists to fit on all 4 corners (it gained him 2" at the top of the fender all the way around, on 33x11.5's).

I can't seem to find any leveling kits, we all know that lift kits simply don't exist, and I don't like the idea of body lift (esp with a hitch).

Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go to autozone and rent a coil spring compressor should gain you enough room to put spacer in if you have welder handy its easy to make your own compressor i've used ours over 20 times(lent out to friends) and still holding up plus its HD too

Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 AM
Raine883
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im going to try a set of polyurethane spacers for a 2nd gen ram tomorrow, ill tell you how it goes.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:57 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Go to autozone and rent a coil spring compressor should gain you enough room to put spacer in if you have welder handy its easy to make your own compressor i've used ours over 20 times(lent out to friends) and still holding up plus its HD too
we have a welder, but i havent spent much time on it (MIG) i spent all my learning on the torch and stick.

Can you take a picture of it? What would AZ's look like? I assume, if all went well, this would be a 3 hour project, to get it on stands, take tires off, compress springs, insert spacers, and tidy it all up?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM
magnethead
Legend

If I do 1" coil spacers in front, and spring-assist shocks in back, would it be safe to say I'd gain about 1" of fender height in front, and half an inch in back? I like the nose-down approach, but can compromise in the name of suspension travel.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:41 AM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by Raine883
Im going to try a set of polyurethane spacers for a 2nd gen ram tomorrow, ill tell you how it goes.
how did it go?

If I do 1" coil spacers in front, and spring-assist shocks in back, would it be safe to say I'd gain about 1" of fender height in front, and half an inch in back? I like the nose-down approach, but can compromise in the name of suspension travel.

Quick Reply: How to raise 2wd front?