2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Coolent/Overheating from overflow!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 03:19 PM
vette68
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolent/Overheating from overflow!

Here's some of the issue's
1. Engine temperature gauge- overheating
2. Coolant- blowing out of the overflow of the coolant resovoir
3. Coolant system- level is down, and not taking coolant from resovoir
4. Electric fan- does not seem to be coming on

Once I have filled the coolant system levels, both in the resovoir, and at the preasure cap and then released the air out at the "allen key" bolt once the system has run
After about a week of normal day use the coolant is overheating, blowing out of the overflow. At the resovoir it is still at the full mark, but the system is half empty if you release and check at the preasure cap for the coolant system.
** I replaced the thermostat (spring end pointing into the engine block)
**I have checked the oil dip stick and the oil looks and smells fine.
**There is no signs of the exhaust smelling or looking any differant as in burning off the coolant that way.
Anything else you need to know, or I should be looking at??
I'm not sure what I should be looking at for the water pump, or is at some point of the system is clogged.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:25 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right behind your water pump pulley is a weep hole. If there are signs of drainage, your water pump needs replacing due to the seal(s) going bad.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:52 PM
vette68
Rookie

Today I took the truck to a dealership to have it looked at.
They did a complete visual, and a preasure test on the coolant system which came out with being okay.
Acouple things they mentioned was that I may have added too much coolant into the system through the "preasure cap" , and also may have added too much coolant at the overflow cannister too. (Question: if the system is running low on the coolant, does it not take it from the overflow cannister?)
They also mentioned that because I have new coolant in the system, they won't be able to see if there is oil leaking into the system from the engine, as in a blown head gasket. (Question: wouldn't the leak at the head gasket have shown up, when they did a preasure test of the coolant system?)
There might be reasoning I don't understand of those two questions.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Tugboat

Your problem sounds almost the same as mine??? i've had the clutch fan, upper rad hose cap assembly replaced already and dodge said they checked the thermostat. Mine ran fine for about 3 weeks no problems at all after the new fan was installed. Today it got hot again when traffic came to a stop on the hiway while coming back from a trip.

i'm tottally puzzled my water pump is fine. The last service we did the coolant drained and brought it back to the right level and this time no fluid leaked but it still got hot. Don't get it???? How do you correctly diagnose a blown gasket??? Second Dodge and i'm really not liking the dependability after owning this one for about a year.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:24 PM
shadowthedakota
Record Breaker

did you check the radiator for corrosion? i had a problem like that and it turned out to be a bad radiator.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:51 AM
Tugboat

wouldn't the rad then leak??? if it was corroded or faulty??

Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 PM
McNasy
Veteran

not exactly. if it were corroded enough that it started to plug the passages through it, a lesser volume of coolant would be cooled at one time. in short, the rad may not be doing its job to full capacity.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Rantz
Veteran

Originally Posted by McNasy
not exactly. if it were corroded enough that it started to plug the passages through it, a lesser volume of coolant would be cooled at one time. in short, the rad may not be doing its job to full capacity.
2nd that

A flush with detergents in both directions should help fix the blocked up problem. If it then wants to leak, it's time to replace the radiator.

Old 08-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Tugboat

Well it's at Dodge again. That does make sense that it's just not working at full capacity. Like I said in other posts about this topic It will run fine for up to 2 to 3 weeks, run perfect temp stays where it should be then after a long drive in both cases it starts up again with the overheating.

I'll post when I hear from the dealership on what the actual problem is..... last time there answer was well whatever it is isn't gonna fix it self just drive it until the problem is clear to them...... That to me is unexceptable i'm super picky about vehicles i've kept everyone that i've owned in mint shape so to have an issue like this where I haven't gotten an answer on what the problem is bugs the s@@@ht out of me.

i'll post when I hear back, hopefully this info will help somebody out in the future????

Old 10-12-2010, 05:49 PM
vette68
Rookie

Did you hear back from the dealership yet??

Quick Reply: Coolent/Overheating from overflow!