2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

truck running like crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:31 PM
rj2088
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default truck running like crap

i need help i got a 98 dakota 6 cyl thats running like crap idle keeps jumping up and down i have no power and when it idles the truck and everyonce and awhile it sounds like i get back pressure build up and the exhaust pops i tried injector cleaner and running better gas and i also replaced plug and wires any other suggestions

Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 PM
twitchy
Professional

can a mod move this over to the 2nd Gen forum?

rj2088

is the engine light on?
do you have any codes?

is the truck louder than usual?
have you checked the actual exhaust pipes? if not, check the manifold to y-pipe, check y-pipe to cat, check cat to muffler, check muffler to tail pipe.

check for any possible lose bolts, gaskets, holes... etc.

also pay close attention to the cat... without touching it (of course) are you able to feel a lot of heat from there? is it visibly red hot?
this could be a clog in either the cat, or the muffler.

Definitely something you want to get looked at.

Last edited by twitchy; 08-25-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:55 PM
rj2088

it does have a light on for and o2 and mis fire on cyl 2 and the cat is hot but not glowing red and i have a small hole in the tail pipe past the exhaust but what gets me is it seems like it started as a fuel issue like water in the tank because about a half hour after a filled up it started acting up had no power and i had to basically put my foot to the floor to get it tp go but then i replaced plugs and wires and that porb went away but now its doing what i had explained before got a really rough idle and the exhaust is louder than it was and i have no power and its shifting at unsually high rpm at times

Old 08-25-2010, 01:05 PM
twitchy
Professional

Definitely an exhaust issue of some sort, but the small hole in the end of the tail pipe past the exhaust won't cause this situation...

I'm guessing there's either a blockage in the muffler or cat.
you'll definitely see a drop dead reduction in response with an exhaust blockage at the cat... I would have a good look for some loose bolts, flange, gaskets etc.

If you can't find it, I highly recommend getting it to a shop before you let it go too long.

The cyl #2 misfire, that could be unrelated, I suspect as a secondary issue.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move it.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Derek2002
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the 02 sensor.If it is bad it will flood it and make it run bad.The excess gas in the exhaust could be igniting causing the popping.

Quick Reply: truck running like crap