2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Can anyone help me? I am extremely devistated and don't know what to do...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:10 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can anyone help me? I am extremely devistated and don't know what to do...

Well I got a call from my friend today that he just got home from being out of town and all my windows/headlights/tail lights were all smashed out. My dash was ripped off, my cd player was taken, and my hood has dents all over it. There was beer bottles left at the scene and I know who did it. He has been asking my friends where I park my Dakota to screw with it because he knows its not at my house because I've been fixing it up. It was at my friends and he knew it was there. I called the cops today and they came out to my friends to take prints off the vehicle and beer bottles. The worst part is I know he did it and I don't know what the **** I'm going to do if they don't get useable prints off the vehicle. The only thing I can think of is to get him to admit it by text message or recording because if he just admits it to people all that is is hearsay and is not useable in a criminal case. He has been known to smash windows on peoples cars, and has about 4 or 5 dui's and multiple run ins with the law, so he has prints on file.

What the **** can I do to get this bastard nailed for ****ing my truck up? I'm so god damn pissed off I can hardly keep myself from driving to his house and beating the ****ing **** out of this worthless piece of society.

Please help me or I'm going to have to part out my Dakota...

Old 08-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Rakaric
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well if you got a serial number or something from the cd player, can always have the cops check up on local pawn shops. Only thing that seems to be available to do besides fingerprints.

On a sidenote, people who have absolutely no respect for other people's property and live their lives like that and get in trouble with the law a lot really don't deserve to be let walking. That personally pisses me off.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:37 PM
RPMRamFury
Professional

The cd player came with the truck and I wish I could get a hold of the person who I got it from to see if there was a box it came with.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Rantz
Veteran

By dash being ripped out, are you talking about just the bezel or the whole dash??

Old 08-29-2010, 09:29 PM
Rantz
Veteran

Put a recorder in your pocket and confront him. If he is this bold, he shouldn't have a problem admitting it. Just don't mention the recorder to brag because he might get desperate. Watch what you say and do, but be natural. You're not breaking the law by confronting and questioning him. Even if the cops told you to "Stay away from him," you're still not breaking the law by doing so (only if there is a restraining order or something official in writing).

Old 08-30-2010, 10:39 AM
RPMRamFury
Professional

I believe it is just the bezel. I haven't even seen it because the place where my friend lives is 45 min away. I really don't even want to look at the damn truck because I'll probably cry like a little bitch.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 PM
alleymad99SLT
Professional

Now, you may or may not like what I am about to say...

First, depending upon the state you live in, clandestinely recording a conversation without the other person's consent may be criminal...it is not in every state, but it is in some...

Second, I would not recommend confronting him. Obviously, he has a problem with you. You, obviously, have a problem with him. Put two people in close proximity to one another who have problems with each other, and bad things seem likely to follow. Do you want the hassle of, say, dealing with an assault and battery charge should your emotions get the best of you? What if he pummels you? Or if his five friends do? I just do not see much good coming from such a confrontation...

Third, I hope you have insurance. It is highly unlikely that even if this guy gets arrested and thrown in jail you will ever see a dime from him. You could always sue him civilly, but you need evidence, not speculation. Fingerprints would be nice. Truthfully, he would probably default and you could get a judgment, but he doesn't exactly sound like the type of character who has money sitting in the bank that you could attach to satisfy a judgment. He is likely what we call "uncollectable."

As tough as this sounds, I would do one thing - MOVE ON. Sure it sucks, and sure you are pissed off, but, after all, its just a truck. This guy obviously has a need for attention, and anything you do to personally fulfill that need just validates his actions as being a means to fill his need. Let the police do their job. They may do it crappily, but that is what you are realistically left with here, IMHO...

Sorry that your truck got all jacked up. I have been in the same situation, so I know what it feels like. Ultimately, as mad as I was, the world kept on turning...

Old 08-30-2010, 01:19 PM
FireFighterHill
Rookie

Im with Alley, Get the police report, call your insurance. Tell the investigator you know who did it. And let them handle it. Also get ahold of the detective assigned to the case and fill him in on as much info as you can think of. The detective is not usually the officer who filled out the report. And sorry to say you most likely will never see a dime. Find out the damage, I bet it is totaled. Pay your deductible, get as much for the truck as you can and move on.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:25 PM
dakota19762
Professional

That really sucks, but I have to agree with alley on this one. Keep your chin up and karma always comes back on you. Good or bad. I have found that people like that always cry to the police and for some reason they are just about untouchable. Let someone else deal with him, he will eventually find that one person like him and end up dead or in prison forever. I see it in the news every day. But unless you want to make that choice, better to walk away. Just my two cents, and the experience of three and a half years in prison for "confronting" someone. And prison sucks

Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 PM
j2048b

if you can convince the investigator to it you can do this:

have the investigator near you when you call the guy, convince him to apologize for what he did, or find a way for him to admit to doing it, Blamo! there you go, an admission of guilt while over the phone with an investigator sitting right there, you now have a case and the person who did it! it was done recently, to someone i know, and yes, they were "hooked up' within a day of this being done!

Quick Reply: Can anyone help me? I am extremely devistated and don't know what to do...