2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ticking sound under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:19 PM
boydrj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking sound under the hood

First noticed this problem about two years ago when I was hauling a trailer full of stuff to college. I had hauled many things before with no problem. However on my way to college i noticed I was having a hard time pulling the trailer which had previously been no problem. It seems like there is a loss of power. Also when I accelerate there seems to be a ticking noise coming from under the hood. The ticking noise is always present (pulling a trailer or not). If anyone has any idea what is going on I would appreciate there input. Thanks

Old 08-31-2010, 06:06 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to a thicker oil may help.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
midget-farms
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ticking is caused by the lifters not getting sufficient oil. This happens on almost any high mileage engine (not sure how many yours has). The sludge builds up & causes less oil to reach the top end. The lifters themselvs have little springs in them & when they don't bounce back right away the rocker arm will 'tick' against the push rod.

This is not really a serious issue & won't cause any damage.

You can use thicker oil (maybe a 20w40 or 20w50, but that won't work in winter - too thick.
You can add an STP type oil treatment or oil honey. They all do basically the same thing - thicker oil sticks better & quiets the lifters down.

You can also add a super lube PTFE oil treatment like Slick50 or motorup.

In the end the only real cure is to pull the top half of the engine apart & rebuild. Seems really extream for a little tick.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:21 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exhaust leak could cause it and it can be bad enough were you loose power.

Quick Reply: ticking sound under the hood