2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

nv3500 Transmission tear down

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 PM
wwwilson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nv3500 Transmission tear down

I have a 1999 Dakota SLT 4x4, 5.2, NV3500 manual 5 speed, it was not shifting into 5th or reverse. I removed the transmission, split the case and found out the 5th/Rev shifting fork is busted. Does anyone know how to get the gears out of the rear case. If I could do that I can change the fork myself for a little over $100.00 bucks.

Last edited by wwwilson; 09-02-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
wwwilson
Thumbs up Got the gears out.

Well I got the gears out of the case. I removed the roll pins from the shifting rod and got it out of the way. Then I messed around all day trying the remove the rear bearing retaining plate. Finally I made a special wrench got the plate off and the whole assembly came out with a little convincing and my engine hoist.
The wrench was an accident I tried to bend it but got too agressive and it broke. So I drilled holes and stuck a rivet in and got a good pivot wrench, which worked great. Got to the bolts no problem through the shifter hole and around the curve of the shaft on one bolt. I coulda done that a week ago.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gearset.jpg (34.8 KB, 79 views)
Photo0077.jpg (26.3 KB, 67 views)
gears.JPG (29.5 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by wwwilson; 09-09-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 11:01 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bro, the keyboard in your transmission assembly is looking a bit outdated j/k

I am certainly impressed. Keep us updated. I know less about transmission assemblies than my cat, Buddy Lee

What kind of background do you have? Now that you have it out, is your cost going to end up being $100?

Got to the bolts no problem through the shifter hole and around the curve of the shaft on one bolt. I coulda done that a week ago.
So some of this could have been done with the tranny still in the truck?

Old 09-10-2010, 02:40 PM
wwwilson
Default Keyboard/Backround

Can you guess how old this keyboard is? I had a stack of keyboards in the garage left over from upgrades. Most of them were used up already. My keyboard crashed the other day and this is the only one that was working. Go figure, it's 16 years old from and old acros computer I had back then.

As far as my backround goes, I'm a retired Air Force Jet Engine Mechanic 21.5 years. The way I figure it if I can tear a jet engine down to nuts and bolts and rebuild it, I can just about fix anything that doesn't require electronic fixes. Even then if all I have to do is troubleshoot the part, I can replace it.

The cost is going to be about 400.00 total because I'm doing the clutch while it is out and painting what ever I can get to so I don't get so dirty next time. Grease washes off of paint alot easier.

So is that profile piture from the Gates or The Dresden Files?

Old 09-10-2010, 03:41 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i was actually going to say something about the keyboard but decided not too. but it looks like the computer my parents in like 1986. like the first ms dos cometuer something like the t 86????

Old 09-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old school computers make great shelves and cup holders lol

Sweet background.

Painted parts also look better!

NICE catch! It is from the tv adaptation of the Dresden Files (My favorite book series)

Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 PM
dbilik
Record Breaker
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, take lots of photos, there isn't much documentation out there on tearing apart manual trannies.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:01 AM
wwwilson

I didn't let anyone know what happened with my tranny. I got the part and was tryiing to put the assembly back in when the top popped off and clips, springs and bearings went bounciing acroos the floor. So I ended up getting a used tranny fro $800.00.

Well, looks like I get to try again. I recently broke the damn thiing again except I can still drive it because I can get 5th just no reverse. I returned the other part I bought so I had to buy another one for $65.00 including shipping. This new one looks beefier than the old one. At least I don't need to change the clutch out this time.

I'll try and take more photos this time.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:11 PM
wwwilson
Default Link to new pictures of tranny tear down

I put all the photos on my facebook page. I keep updating what I did on each photo. I didn't tear the gears apart. I took the whole assembly out in one piece. Looks like they made a new fork. The old style was too weak which I found out the hard way twice. The only thing is I had to move the shifting knuckle down the rod 3/16" so it wouldn't bump into the new fork when trying to get 2nd and 4th gear. It would have been easier to shave 1/4" that off of the front of the knuckle when it was out of the tranny. I found out after the thing was installed in the truck and a I couldn't get 2nd or 4th gear.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...377.1230490999

Last edited by wwwilson; 07-14-2011 at 01:27 AM. Reason: More info

Quick Reply: nv3500 Transmission tear down