2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Shoulda Bought a 4X4 :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 11:13 AM
twitchy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shoulda Bought a 4X4 :(

So here we are, it's the long weekend and we're heading to "The Pinery", one of Ontario's provincial parks.

I've got about 800lbs of wood and gear in the trailer and probably 300-400 lbs max in the bed. (3.9L V6 Auto, 2WD) Pearl performed well towing this roughly 2000 lbs load when you consider the trailer weight too. I was impressed.

So we get to the park, and we're heading into the park to our designated camp site in the "Dunes" camp ground area, and while we, of course, expect to see some sand, we didn't expect it to be so soft in the actual camp site.

I pulled in and much of the site was packed down good, just one section which appeared to be fine wasn't so packed down apparently.

As I pulled in, and tried to get the trailer backed into a little nook in the trees, I needed to pull forward a bit so I could get the truck / trailer in the right position... As I pulled up, I felt the *** end of the truck kinda drop off, and thought... "oh.. that can't be good" but kept getting things into position, as I switched into reverse, I had no issues, and again had to straighten out a little bit so I pulled forward a couple feet, and the truck dropped off again at the rear end. This time though... I was good and stuck.

I really wish I had some pics of the event, cause it got comical from there on.

We tried everything to get the truck out... including unloading all the wood and gear from the truck and the trailer, and taking the trailer off the truck... with the hope of making it as light as possible. No Dice there. We tried digging out the tires some and giving some grip by tossing down some twigs and gravel that we found near by... No Dice there either. Eventually, I just gave up and called CAA (AAA).

They sent out a tow truck, and he was there quick.

3500 HD Chevy Diesel Duramax with the Allison tranny... anyway, this thing is great .. pulls out the truck just fine... but all of a sudden the tow truck just died, I mean... pfft dead. Engine still runs, everything still works but the hydraulics for the crane and the wheel lift are shot. Poor bastard had to call another tow truck to come out and help him with this, because he couldn't get the wheel lift back up.

It really was a great way to cap off the night...

Anyway, long winded I know, but seriously too funny. Just another reminder that I should have bought a 4x4... Cause I would never have gotten so stuck like I did.

Sadly, at some point this weekend we also lost the badged center cap for the front passenger side wheel. I feel naked. Hopefully someone will have one this weekend at the Swap meet in Barrie (http://www.burlscreek.com/)

Old 09-07-2010, 01:50 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ill never buy a 2wd truck 4wd for me gets used year round

Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM
twitchy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I won't be buying a 2wd again...
this'll be the last.

I love Pearl, but when I get the chance, a 4x4 is the next purchase as far as a truck goes.
of course, that coupled with manual transmission of course.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:51 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Yeah I wish mine was a manual but my next truck is going to be a ram 2500 either v10 or cummins and a manual.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:13 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont get a v10 i've heard they eat the front ends from the heavy *** 488 under the hood lol

Old 09-07-2010, 10:43 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
dont get a v10 i've heard they eat the front ends from the heavy *** 488 under the hood lol
I didnt think they were much different than the cummins like couple hundred lbs

Old 09-08-2010, 09:31 AM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm not really sure just saying what i've heard from one of the dad's on my sister's softball team

Old 09-08-2010, 09:37 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

I've heard that a lot of 2500 and 3500 are hard on front ends(mostly ball joints,shocks and bushings) cause of the heaviness of them

Quick Reply: Shoulda Bought a 4X4 :(