2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

FRT Drive Shaft Rear Joint??

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 05:57 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is you temp guage moving around as you drive it? that is one sign that the pump is going sometimes they will also leak when they are on their way out. You can take your belt and try to grab the water pump pulley and move it side to side and up and down if it has a little bit of play then its on its way out. When my water pump went this summer It was leaking a little bit and my temp was moving up and down depending if I was stopped or driving. I got a brand new duralast water pump from autozone for 69.99 with a lifetime warranty. Im the type of person that doesnt just replaced parts when I think they are going they either have to stop working completly or I have to know 100% that its my problem.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Pwall
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

also check the clutch fan try to spin it with the engine off it should not spin more then half a turn, if it does your fan also may not be pulling enough air through the radiator, it is also attached to the water pump

Old 11-05-2010, 10:31 AM
RMeWife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome! Thanks guys! Ill check it out and make sure this is the issue. Its also makin a high pitched kinda rattle or squeal. Is this common when a water pump is goin out?

Old 11-05-2010, 11:33 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Could also be another pulley making that noise I remember when my buddys clutch was going on his fan if you were in front of the vehicle when it was running you had to plug your ears cause it was so loud

Quick Reply: FRT Drive Shaft Rear Joint??