2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

FRT Drive Shaft Rear Joint??

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 PM
RMeWife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile FRT Drive Shaft Rear Joint??

Hi im new to this site, and I was hoping I could get some help trouble shooting a new issue Im having with my 02 Dodge Dakota SLT V8 5.9L .
It started making this kinda chirping, metal clanging noise. It only makes the noise while Im driving. When I accelerate the noise chirps faster, and when I slow down it slowsd as well. It doesnt make the noise while Im stopped. I thought maybe something was loose? The noise is coming from my drivers side front tire area, and Tire World said it was a CV Joint going bad, and that it needed to be rebuilt. (or turned into a U joint) Im clueless when it comes to these things, and I dont wanna just take their word for it without checking it out further, is there something I could do or check before making the leap to spending $600.00 ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you

Christina

Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 PM
cowboy63645
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no way that a CV halfshaft would run you $600, not even having it installed! Autozone sells them for around $60 with the core (trading in the old one) It could be something as simple as a brake pad that has gotten worn down. Are there any other shops you can take it to that will quote you a price, or look at it for free? I would not spend $600 to have the work done, but that is just my .02

Old 09-17-2010, 08:55 AM
dhshark

I'd get a second opinion and would even go so far as to get a third opinion if the cost is $600 and you don't know what they are talking about.

Ask friends, neighbors and see if you can find a honest independent auto shop rather than a chain auto repair store or the dealership.

I'll try and take a stab at your problem based on your description. I'm assuming that you have 4WD based on where you live.

You list two probable causes as described:
Half-shaft axle (CV Joint) and U-joint.

I agree with Cowboy and if it is a half-shaft, then that shop is taking you for a ride. I just changed a half-shaft (CV Joint) on my car and it took 30 minutes and I replaced the axle seal too and it cost around $60. If the auto chain bases the job on the book rate (and I'm guessing here) of maybe two hours, then your looking at labor for about $180 and cost of the part for about $200 for an approximate total of $380 and round it up to $400 with taxes and misc. costs.

If you have a U-Joint problem you'd usually feel it in the form of a vibration at a certain speed.

My guess is that you have a torn left (driver's side) CV boot where the grease has leaked out and now the CV is bad causing it to grind and make noise. The noise will increase with speed and will stop when you stop.

It description also sounds like a brake problem, but based on the fact that you took it to the shop and they told you that the problem is the CV I'm guessing that they are probably correct.

What I would do? Get a second opinion and get it fixed ASAP.

Dennis

Old 09-17-2010, 12:52 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can either a get a rebuild kit for 59.99 at autozone or get a whole new one for 90.00 new one is better for you depending how mecanical inclined you are and what types of tools you have. You can get a hynes manual and can do it in a couple hrs. Everyone here on this fourm dont like dealers or people that fix our trucks you either get screwed over by the price or you end up finding out they messed up your truck. No one has ever worked on my truck the closest person that gets near it is my inspection guy lol

Old 09-18-2010, 11:34 AM
midget-farms
Professional

The problem coule also be the wheel bearing, but if the shop has already told you its the CV joint it probably is.

Any compitant shop will be able to do that work. Try Midas or find a local shop. Don't use the dealer as they will suggest 30 other parts need to be replaced & they usually charge $100 per hour.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:40 PM
Rantz
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at this lol A lady in need comes on and everyone is more than willing!

Seriously though, I agree with the gentlemen above me. It sounds like you wouldn't be comfortable doing it yourself. Ask around and see if you can find an independently run shop or an informed DIYer. Good luck and keep us updated.

Side note: Someone else also suggested it as well, but go ahead and spend the $15-$20 on a haynes repair manual for your truck. It will help you a LOT. These manuals are pretty much how I learned most of what I do with vehicles. Even if you don't intend on doing much yourself, it is still a good place to start when you have questions.

If you have the patience and the time, use your newly acquired haynes manual to poke around down there and take a chance. Most likely, you won't be able to "hurt" anything. CV joints, luckily, don't have anything else in the way. So it's just unbolt and bolt on the new one (there will be some other steps involved, but this is the big picture). You will need some basic tools like sockets and wrenches. I think you would feel pretty good afterwards also. Make sure you wear gloves because I doubt you'll want to have grease stains under your nails (no offense). Even I feel scrubby when I can't get all of the grease out and I want to look nice.

Last edited by Rantz; 09-20-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-20-2010, 12:58 PM
RMeWife

Hey there, thank you guys. I seriously appreciate all the advice! Should I just go to an auto parts store to get the Haynes manual for my truck?

Christina

Old 09-20-2010, 01:08 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RMeWife
Hey there, thank you guys. I seriously appreciate all the advice! Should I just go to an auto parts store to get the Haynes manual for my truck?

Christina
Autozone,advanced auto,napa places like those will have them if they dont they can have them in the next day. Max is about 20.00 for one

Old 09-20-2010, 01:24 PM
RMeWife
Smile

Thanks! Im gonna get a 3rd opinion this week to, i think it is starting to vibrate a little bit at higher speeds. Its not violently vibrating but it is noticable. So I think I should ask them to check out the certain things you guys listed here? The wheel bearings, CV joint, U joint, the Hub...i think thats about all of them. The last person I spoke with said the Drive Shaft should be replaced...there are so many things, its kinda nerve wrecking, but Im trying, and you guys are so helpful. And Im def gonna get a manual as well. =)

Christina

Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 PM
RMeWife

Hey there everyone, I wanted to thank you all again for helping me out, the info was greatly appreciated. Turned out the transfer case needed rebuilt, alot of the parts inside it were very worn, and the noise was coming from the chain inside banging the case. So got that taken care of. But it started making this rattling noise from the frt pass side of my engine. They told me my water pump is going bad. He said, and I agree, that when its in park and you rev the engine thats when you hear the noise. But when you start to drive - you dont hear it as much. They havent told me how much this will cost, but I dont wanna be taken for a ride, so how much do you guys think it would be to replace a water pump on a 02 Dodge Dakota V8 5.9L ? Any advise would be great =)

Thanks in advance,
Christina

Quick Reply: FRT Drive Shaft Rear Joint??