2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Heater connection question..........help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010 | 04:25 PM
drjgarage
|
Professional
Default Heater connection question..........help!!!!

I have a 2003 Dakota, club cab, 4x4, 3.7 V6. The fan motor would quit at start up. I would reach down to the connector and wiggle it and it would work till next time I started up. I removed the unit the connector is attached to to find it just about melted. It looks like a big ceramic heater, must be a resistor. It is cooled by the air moving over it through the system. The connector is melted but I was able to mickey mouse it to work. Where can I get another connector for it? I will have to splice or solder it in. THE RESISTOR HAS SOME HEAT DAMAGE ALSO. The other question is why are the wires getting so hot? It's the power feed and the high fan feed wire. I really could use another connector!!

Last edited by drjgarage; 09-23-2010 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2010 | 06:27 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Check at the Dodge dealer, they sell a replacement plug with a wire pigtail. I think the part number for it is posted on here somewhere. It's expensive though, I have heard it costs about $60 to $80. The blower motor resistor is a lot less, it should be less than $20.00.

You might remove the fan motor itself and test it out of the truck with 12 volts and ground to be sure the fan motor is not bad and causing the resistor pack and its connector to get so hot. The resistor only changes the fan speed by changing the resistance of the ground side of the fan motor circuit, so I would not think the resistor is causing the plug to melt. Others here have replaced their resistor plugs, maybe they will have more info on that part of the problem.

You might try to find the plug for the resistor at a junk yard, preferably a you-pull-it type yard. They would probably charge a lot less for it. But it is best to get the new blower motor resistor pack at the Dodge dealer. Dodge did a redesign on the resistor a few years ago and the new style is a lot better and is made with much better parts. Dodge sold all the old design resistors to Napa. You will see when you compare the old one to the new one. And it should be right in the $20.00 or less price range at the Dodge dealer.

Jimmy

Old 09-24-2010 | 10:37 AM
drjgarage
|
Professional

Thanks!!!! Anyone know the site that has the info on the pigtail???

Old 09-24-2010 | 11:11 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker

Dodge part # for the plug and wire harness should be 05017124AA. Here is a thread on it:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...connector.html

I would still check at a junk yard first before buying it at the dealer.

Jimmy

Quick Reply: Heater connection question..........help!!!!