2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

ignition relay fuse blowing???

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:33 AM
jimtravel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition relay fuse blowing???

This is my 1st post so I hope all is correct. My 03 Dakota blows the ignition relay fuse's in the cab, and sometimes the ign. relay fuse under the hood. Never both at the same time but sometimes it's the the one in the cab fuse panel, sometimes the one in the engine compartment fuse panel. This is the weird thing, it only happens with the truck running while adjusting the tilt steering up or down. A little scarry when you're going down the road and while adjusting the tilt, the motor stops. Anyone know anything about this???????????

Jim

Old 09-26-2010, 01:17 AM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Hmm....sounds like a short inside the column to me. As to actually fixing it.... (This is where we curse the air bags)

Old 09-26-2010, 10:05 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Dakota's with tilt steering sometimes have problems like this with the wire harnesses under and around the ignition switch getting chafed and shorted out or pins pulling out of the plastic molex harness connectors.

You will need to remove the knee bolster panel under the dash and get under there with a good light and move the tilt steering up and down and see if you can find and fix the problem. It would probably help to remove the steering column covers too, so you can see the entire harness.

Jimmy

Old 09-26-2010, 07:58 PM
jimtravel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy, and magnethead, Thanks for the response. I did reach in around the column and moved the wires I could feel but nothing happened. As soon as I hit the tilt lever the motor quit. Obviously another blown fuse. I am going to try removing the panels and see if I can see anything better. Thanks again for the imput. I'll let you know how it goes.

Jim

Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts

Did you actually tilt the column, or just rotate the lever? If #2, I'd look around those moving parts..

Quick Reply: ignition relay fuse blowing???