2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Threw a code P0442

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 PM
midget-farms
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - so here is the latest - I went to the stealership to pick up my part. The parts guy was pretty nice & let me open the box first - The part was not what I was thinking it was. So He & I go out to my truck & I point to what I think is the NVDLP. He said no - that was the purge solinoid.

Well between the two of us we couldn't find the NVDLP. Now I just had my right shoulder rebuilt 9 days ago - so I'm still pretty sore & not able to lift anything or do much with that arm. So I decided to just have the dealership fix it.

The parts guy takes me back to the service guy - I told him I just wanted this part installed & don't sell me a bunch of crap.

He called in the tech & between the two of them they start telling me how it could be any of 100 different parts or issues & they really should do a full smoke test blah blah -

So I guess they saw my eyes roll back in my head because the service guy says - why not just replace the gas cap - 90% of the time this is what he finds the issue is. Then the service guy chimes in that he has only see 1 or 2 DLP's in the 6 years he's been there. THey don't fail too often.

Plesently surprised I buy a new gas cap - reset the codes & so far we have been all good.

I'll let you know if I have any other issues - but so far so good.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:12 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well it will be good if a new gas cap does fix it. A new gas cap didn't fix my evap leak, the P0442 came back on the next day after I bought and installed a new one. It was after that when I read about LDP failures, I read on several sites that the LDP is very often the reason for a P0441, and it made sense because of my wreck. You have a P0442 which is for a small evap leak, so maybe it was/is the gas cap causing the problem.

That is the problem with P04xx codes, there are a lot of different reasons and causes for the same code. Drive the truck a couple of days and see if the code comes back. Hopefully a new gas cap really was all you needed.

Jimmy

Old 01-16-2011, 12:11 PM
hambone55

The "U" shaped hose on the evap canister in front of the tank as well as the
evap hoses under the hood were the cause on my '02 Quad Cab. Replaced
with fuel hose no further codes. The hose on the evap canister needed two
different ID sizes. I had to jam two pieces of hose together.

Old 03-13-2011, 09:40 PM
als2003
Default Emissions Leak -small- error code

001.jpg

Old 03-13-2011, 11:53 PM
sl2racer
Veteran

thats a nice crack in your hose there.^^

Last edited by sl2racer; 03-16-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 05:46 PM
michael herrfpt

Originally Posted by sl2racer
thats a nice crack in your hose there.^^
can you tell me exact size and name of hose you purchased I'm having same problems

Quick Reply: Threw a code P0442