2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 03:31 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel leak

i think i have a fuel leak in my 98 sport where are some common places for leaks?

Old 10-06-2010, 03:45 PM
midget-farms
Professional

What makes you think you have a leak? Look directly above the puddle.

The reason I ask - is if the charcoal canister fails on the evap system or if a hose brakes or cracks on that system you will have a strong fuel odor. But you should also have a CEL to look up. Usually code 442 or 443 - maybe 441 - all indicate a leak in the evap system.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:20 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do you think you have a fuel leak?

Old 10-06-2010, 07:00 PM
ZAKMAN
Professional

cause i have a cel on for a LARGE LEAK evap system (it was caps on the scanner) and i put 10 bucks in it and drove less than 5 miles and it was on empty i dont smell any gas or hav any puddles but it shouldnt go through 10 bucks that fast

Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 PM
midget-farms
Professional

OK - I just had a medium evap leak code kick up yesterday so some of this is fresh.

The evap system takes the fumes from the gas tank & pumps them through a charcoal canister to keep them from going out to the atmosphere.

every so often the computer will purge the charcoal canister by pumping the fuel from it into the intake manifold.

If you have a large leak - as the dealership told me in my other thread (code 442) it could be a bunch of things - Start by inspecting the charcoal canister & the lines. You will find them just in front of the fuel tank under the drivers side of the truck.

Then - there is a purge silinoid next to the battery & finally the vacume leak pump that I guess is located under the battery tray - I've not seen mine.

But in any case - with a large leak the truck computer could easily decide to dump fuel into the cyls & mpg's go to hell.

I replaced the gas cap - per the advice of my dealer -

From here its a matter of ellimination - start with the simple stuff (gas cap) & work your way up.

Quick Reply: fuel leak