2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Engine Misfire/injector clatter

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
tinmann
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK so what's the deal with the timing? Could you be a little more detailed for us dummy's out here? And which O2 sensor did you replace? Thx

Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Pacphnmn

Originally Posted by tinmann
OK so what's the deal with the timing? Could you be a little more detailed for us dummy's out here? And which O2 sensor did you replace? Thx
What I found out is that the Dodge Dakota's computer fully controls all engine functions. The computer synchronizes the crankshaft sensor with the camshaft sensor while monitoring all O2 sensors (this Dakota has 4 -2 before catalytic conv/2 after) and the MAP sensor to control engine timing/function.

I had issues before the computer crashed with the O2 sensor, but never replaced it. Because of the multiple issues, I figured I should replace the flaky one. The one I replaced (found the correct one because of the OBD code put out) was the drivers side after the converter. So I am not sure if it was a new crankshaft sensor or the O2 sensor or combination of both which resolved the issue.

Good luck to you guys, I know this was a rough problem that the dealership couldn't even figure out and lasted for a few months.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM
tinmann

Ah- thanks for clearing up the question with the back story. I finally replaced the upstream (the one between before the cat) o2 sensor and that ended up fixing my issue.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Engine Misfire/injector clatter