2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

DIY rear sway bar links and bushings *Pic heavy*

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 01:59 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Arrow DIY rear sway bar links and bushings *Pic heavy*

Here is the DIY for sway bar links and bushings:

Parts: Moog sway bar links, and moog sway bar bushings 16mm.
I bought it from Rockauto.com for $55, they shipped very fast (2 days)

tools: 18mm wrench, 5/8 ratchet, wd40 or pblaster.

Here are the parts out of the box.

here is the 2 bolts that hold down the bushings, there are 2 of them. remove these with the 5/8 ratchet.

old sway bar links, you need to use the 5/8 and the 18mm to bet the bolts off. both from where it attaches to the frame and the sway bar itself.

old sway bar removed.

old bushings vs new

old links vs new. moogs feel much heavier and sturdy. you have to assemble the bushings into the openings on either end of the links. just use a little wd-40 to make them slide in easier.

heres what the bushing looks like in the C cover thing.

Next, install the links onto the frame. without the sway bar attached.once you get both links on, then attach the sway bar to the bottom part of the links

now line up the c-clamp bushing part on either side of the diff.

now just bolt everything down.

reinstall shock if you needed to remove it in the first place.

this was really easy to do. probably start to finish under 2 hrs. i havent driven with them yet but i will update on how they feel.

any questions let me know!

Last edited by thunder98110; 10-13-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Blaze10
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, where did you get that kit at? do you have an exact link? im assuming if it rattles it's bad? cause thats what myn does every single little bump in the road. and when i was doing my shocks i noticed it was loose.

Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 PM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice keep it up dated. I will post a link to this post in the DIY in the FAQ.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
thunder98110
Champion

updated^

Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i did my shocks I noticed mine were loose so I took washers to the bolts and made the stock ones tight but those are sweet looking and i suppose the metal end links would flex less than the plastic ones

Old 10-13-2010, 07:12 PM
thunder98110
Champion

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
those are sweet looking and i suppose the metal end links would flex less than the plastic ones
yeah wow, i never thought i would feel a difference. rear end sticks to the ground on corners like glue. way better. i didnt realize how bad he stockers were. i recomend this to anyone. relativity cheap and well worth it. moog ftw.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:23 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by thunder98110
yeah wow, i never thought i would feel a difference. rear end sticks to the ground on corners like glue. way better. i didnt realize how bad he stockers were. i recomend this to anyone. relativity cheap and well worth it. moog ftw.
what was it doing that made you do this?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM
thunder98110
Champion

well on sunday i went to the state park and was driving around on the concrete and there were these strips of raised concrete every 20 feet or so. when i drove over them it would go clunk clunk. it was really annoying, there were people camping there staring and me while i drove by. so i got under here and the bottom sway bar link where it connects to the actual sway bar was a lot of play. so basically noise. and i wanted too and nearly 130k miles on them might as well replace them.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:31 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by thunder98110
well on sunday i went to the state park and was driving around on the concrete and there were these strips of raised concrete every 20 feet or so. when i drove over them it would go clunk clunk. it was really annoying, there were people camping there staring and me while i drove by. so i got under here and the bottom sway bar link where it connects to the actual sway bar was a lot of play. so basically noise. and i wanted too and nearly 130k miles on them might as well replace them.
haha sounds good mine has been making all kinds of weird noises and i've narrowed it down to exhaust pipe hitting on the side of the hitch, since the pass side isn't solid like the drivers side, or some hellacious tranny noise it makes when its kinda bogged down (synchro's or just nv3500 noise since they are noisy haha not to worried here)...i can def. tell that it hasn't made as many noises when hitting bumps since i put those washers in and made my stock links more solid maybe after I pay off my damn tires I'll do this none the less great post haha

Old 10-13-2010, 08:58 PM
Josh Abels
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good write up, all the sway bar bushings on my truck are definitely on my list of too do's, btw when did u get the tonneau?

Quick Reply: DIY rear sway bar links and bushings *Pic heavy*