2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Clicking brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:46 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Clicking brake noise

My truck has a soft metallic clicking/tapping noise I can hear when I first step on the brake pedal. It sounds and feels like it is from the front brakes. It almost sounds like the pads are too far away from the rotor and when I press the brake pedal it slams the pad against the surface of the rotor and causes the noise. I hear it at slow speeds, anything over 20 MPH is too loud to hear this noise but it is probably still there then too. The noise is not present all the time but does happen at different and multiple times while driving.

Truck brakes fine, does not pull, chatter, squeal or otherwise have any brake problems. I replaced the front calipers, rotors and pads all back in January with Advance Auto Parts Wearever brand rotors, Wearever Silver pads and Cardone reman calipers.

I took the wheels off, removed the pads, calipers and anti-rattle springs 10 days ago. I found nothing wrong, nothing looked out of the ordinary. The anti-rattle springs are fine, no problems with them at all. I re-greased the caliper slide pins and slide surfaces, and I put a nice coat of caliper grease on the back sides of the pads. I reassembled everything and the click-tap noise was gone for a while but is back now. It doesn't happen all the time though.

I wonder if the anti-rattle springs are weak now? I used the new springs that came with the calipers. Or maybe the Wearever pads are cheaply made and just don't fit as well now that some of the friction material has worn away (they have about 12,000 miles on them now) and are moving too much and causing this noise?

Anyone else seen/heard this or have any ideas about it?

Thanks.

Jimmy

Old 10-26-2010, 01:55 PM
outlawfox13
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard the same sound as you describe, but it turned out that the caliper bolts were loose. Other then that I would have no clue unless one caliper is starting to malfunction.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:11 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Caliper bolt are brand new and tight. I replaced all 4 of them 2 weeks ago. When I pulled the calipers off to grease the pads and slide surfaces, I didn't even have to use a C-clamp to move the pistons and pads back to get the calipers off the knuckle. It lifted right off and went right back on without much effort at all. I think the pistons are backed out just a little and there might be a little too much free play in the piston bore so and when I press the brake pedal it pushes the piston against the pad and causes the clicking noise.

The truck stops fine, has no brake problems at all but I just wonder if I should replace the calipers and pads too because of the click noise. I wonder if the pads are not just a bit loose in the caliper, maybe the Wearever pads are not machined right or maybe they are just a bit off on size and shape and now that 14,000 miles worth of pad material has worn away there is some slop in the brakes causing the click-pop noise.

Thanks for the help here.

Jimmy

Old 10-26-2010, 03:29 PM
outlawfox13
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can move the piston by hand I would replace it!

Or possibly an Air pocket???

Quick Reply: Clicking brake noise