2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Trans question

Old 10-27-2010, 11:18 AM
dksjr
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans question

2001 Dodge Dakota 3.9l with 42re transmission

Hello all and first time post

Going to change my tranny fluid myself for the first time and while checking things under truck, noticed a 5 wire/pin electrical connector to the trans on the drivers side. I'm a real novice.

Questions/problem: the connector looks like it might be a 6 pin but only see 5 wires comming from the harness area to the connector. Has a red clip with a white dot retainer.

TWO(2) of the wires are now exposed going into the connector from harness. Plastic is gone showing copper wire. No boot covering the 5 small wires???

What is this connector and how to fix? Can I get new pin connectors or do I have to chase back and replace the whole unit? From the transmission to where ever it is connected above. Hard to see where it goes laying on my back.

If need to replace the entire run, what's the easiest way to do? Not much to work with wire wise under there. Maybe lift the bed off?

Question: my trans oil pan says the gasket is re-usable. 52118779ac and gasket 4295875ac stamed on outside oil pan. Should I get a new gasket along with the filter.

Many thanks in advance

Old 10-27-2010, 01:12 PM
outlawfox13
Amateur

You could go to a junk yard and cut off about 10 inches of the wires, and the connector, and re-splice them back on yours. Also sometimes the manufaturer makes a 5 pin connector using a 6 pin, they just leave one empty.

About the gasket, if its re-useable thats fine but think of it this way, how much is one gasket? cause if it goes bad then you need to drain the pan and replace the gasket and then refil the tranny. I would buy a new one.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:17 PM
dksjr

many thanks and will get the filter kit. I think Mopar has a kit for the trans range sensor if that is what it is(just found this). Kit #05019940AA. trying to get pictures??
Anyway, I didn't even think about the pick a part option! thanks again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trans question