2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Sooo I test drove a brand new Taco...

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sooo I test drove a brand new Taco...

No, I'm not buying one lol, but yesterday me and my room mate were going past a dealer and thought it would be fun to see if we can beat on one for a little bit. It was a fully loaded TRD edition with the 4.0 V6 and an automatic. They didn't have any 6 speeds on the lots. The full 4 door version, I don't know what Toyota calls it.

Honestly, I was not impressed at all with the motor. It really didn't feel like there was much power at all and left much to be desired. Maybe because I'm used to the 4.7, I don't know. But really, even at WOT it didn't get up and get going very well. I know it wasn't even broken in it (368 miles when I got in), but still, it needs a V8 bad!

Brakes were terrible. The brakes on my truck are at least 30k miles old that I know of, (I've never changed them, and don't know when the last time they were) and my brakes were better then these. I really had to push on them to get it slowed down.

Suspension was nice. Probably the nicest part of this truck. It soaked up bad roads really nice and probably my favorite part.

A couple other things i like:
Electronic locking rear diff
Outside thermometer
Orange illuminated gauges are pretty nice
Comfortable seats
BFG tires stock

Main things I don't like:
Motor - needs a V8 bad.
Brakes - just felt like a sponge.
$32,000 for a brand new one is rediculous. It's a midsize truck, not a full size
Front of the truck looks bulky IMO, not the best

I tried going into this drive un-biased, but it's hard because I don't really like Toyotas lol. But there were a bunch things I liked, but they were heavily outweighed buy the lack of a V8 (and they are not avaliable with one), bad braking, and OUTRAGEOUS price tag. Sorry Toyota, the Tacoma is not made of gold.

I know it's not directly related to a Dakota, but it's out competition, so I thought I would fill you guys in.

If I could have a brand new version of my dakota vs. a brand new 2010 Tacoma, I would take mine everytime...

Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah there not the greatest truck to buy. There is a car lot down from me(its like a new used car lot if that makes sense) I go in once and a while and see what they got so far I drove a 2009 challenger, 07 ram hemi and a 08 jeep wrangler. Normally I take the our ram when I go down so they dont think im just some kid that test drives vehicles makes me look like I have some money lol I always give my story like im so desperate for a different vehicle and before you know it they are handing me keys left and right.

0811091716.jpg

0630101618.jpg

Old 11-09-2010, 06:04 PM
bpark8824
Champion

That's a nice ram. I just hate what has happened to the dakota. I don't need a full size and I love the midsize. The dakota and tacoma are the perfect size, but now the dakotas are terrible looking inside and out compared to ours and I don't like the Tacomas. Frontiers are OK, but again, needs a V8.

Yeah, being in Vermont they saw my CT plates and assumed I was loaded. I told him I was just ready for something new. When I asked to drive it, he asked if I was serious or just wanted to play lol. Little did he know I had zero intention on buying one lol.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM
TheePlaymaker
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my roommate actually just got a 07 trd taco and while it is nice inside and like you said it rides 200 times better than my dak (offroad shocks and just the design i'm sure are the prob) I wouldn't trade it for anything but a full size and even though I love the Hemi's i would probably not trade my dak for anything but a cummins as far as trucks go right now. taco's are rated more than the dakota's but still its a sixer and doesn't have as much torque. the only thing that pissed me off when I compared our trucks was his max towing cap. was a little higher than my dak but oh well.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah that hemi was nice I loved the color and the price for it was good 14,000 miles on it. The jeep was alright too but it needed regeared or a v8. I also have no intentions of buying any from a dealer since they rip you off but the one salesmen was cool he said hey I was once a kid I know how it is dont wreck it lol

Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 PM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't buy one either. I like my Dakota just fine like it is, V6 and all. It runs very well for its age and at least it has a 5-speed. I like the looks of the late 1990's Frontiers but I don't like them enough to go into debt on one.

Jimmy

Old 11-10-2010, 08:14 AM
bpark8824
Champion

Originally Posted by TheePlaymaker
my roommate actually just got a 07 trd taco and while it is nice inside and like you said it rides 200 times better than my dak (offroad shocks and just the design i'm sure are the prob) I wouldn't trade it for anything but a full size and even though I love the Hemi's i would probably not trade my dak for anything but a cummins as far as trucks go right now. taco's are rated more than the dakota's but still its a sixer and doesn't have as much torque. the only thing that pissed me off when I compared our trucks was his max towing cap. was a little higher than my dak but oh well.
I agree, they are nice inside. They ride awesome too. But it needs that V8. I've heard toyota won't put one in because they think it will take away too many sales from the Tundra...

Old 11-10-2010, 08:39 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had a '81 'Yota 4x4 and two Nissan 4x4s ('85 & '97). The 'yota and '97 Nissan were 4 bangers, the '85 Nissan a V6.

They were actually pretty stout engines in those days compared to what most American small trucks had. Ever drive a Furd Ranger with the 2.3L four banger in it? I worked for a company gave me a '93 Furd with that engine and I couldn't get up a steep hill in anything over second gear EMPTY, and got 13 mpg IF I had a strong wind behind me, LOL.

The big things 'Yota and Nissan always had were the suspensions. They just were awesome in that regard, and lifted, they were really bada$$ off-road. I think they still have an edge there. Every other regard, I'd take a 'Dak, but when it comes to building one up for off-road, the two jappers got it all over any US small/mid size truck.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:40 PM
bpark8824
Champion

I completely agree with you. The suspension on this was like riding on clouds compared to my dak. Can't take anything away from them there. My room mate had an '89 yota freshman year that we beat the hell out of and it had 315k miles on it. Eventually it $hit the bed, but still for the abuse and miles, it was impressive.

Another thing I'm not sure about is the plastic bed on the taco. I read some reviews and a lot of people don't like this. Apparently they can make things last without rusting so they just made it out of plastic instead? I don't know but a lot of people were complaining about it. Maybe it isn't as stong?

But I'm not going to lie. If they came with a 6 speed 4.7 (Toyota's 4.7 obviously), it would be VERY tempting.

I really like the electronic locking rear diff. Just a push of a button. That's pretty nice. My friends NISMO Frontier has it too. Not sure if the newer Daks have anything like that. Especially seeing that won't exist in a year or so.

Honestly when I buy my next truck, I'm going to be lost. I don't want a full size, but I don't want a midsize (Frontier or Taco) in a V6. Plus I don't like the idea of buying a Jap truck, but then again the Taco I drove was made in the U.S. so I don't know about that whole deal anymore...

Oh well, I stop ranting on and on lol.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:03 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
Yeah there not the greatest truck to buy. There is a car lot down from me(its like a new used car lot if that makes sense) I go in once and a while and see what they got so far I drove a 2009 challenger, 07 ram hemi and a 08 jeep wrangler. Normally I take the our ram when I go down so they dont think im just some kid that test drives vehicles makes me look like I have some money lol I always give my story like im so desperate for a different vehicle and before you know it they are handing me keys left and right.

Hey! That's a nice Jeep!!

Quick Reply: Sooo I test drove a brand new Taco...