2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

1998 Dakota v6 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM
J_Fellenbaum
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Dakota v6 won't start

1998 Dakota Sport V6
4x4 Manual 5spd
187K miles on it

This truck has been through the ringer and been hit by multiple uninsured motorists. Recently It was involved in a wreck about 6 weeks ago. Since it's paid off and has so many miles and I didn't get any insurance money for it, I just banged out the fenders and what not and have been driving it for a month.

Anyhow, I drove to work the other day and it drove fine. After work , I went to start it and it turns over fine but wont start. I tried this a couple times and no dice. I had a co-worker come take a look since he's a ghetto mechanic, and it fired for like 1 second and shut off. I have not been able to duplicate that since.

We pushed it down a hill and tried popping the clutch, but that did not work either. I've jumped it as well incase the battery was weak, but did not work.

So I got it towed home and confirmed that I do have spark. But I'm kinda lost on where to go from here. I'm suspecting something fuel related, but I couldn't find where to test the fuel pressure. I looked on the rails, but I didn't see one.

I've been trying to read online, but I can't seem to grasp a staring point. I'm not the most car savy person. I've changed my own brakes/oil/shocks/plugs,etc, but my biggest job I ever really did was change the rear-end on this truck.

With its age/miles and crash damage I don't want to spend a bunch of money on it, as it probably won't pass inspection next Aug with it's current condition. But I'd like to have it for the winter time.

I've read about the ASD, computer, or fuel pump being possible issues, but I'm not sure which direction is most logical to start with.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the long winded message.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:20 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Turn your key on and listen to see if you can hear the fuel pump. You can also try spraying some starting fluid down the throttle body and see if it will start.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:34 PM
Pwall
Veteran

yeah check to see if you got fuel try tapping the tank to see if the pump is on its way out, is there damage by the tank check to see if something got crushed or got loose

Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
cheetahman

Since you got spark it probably isn't the ECM. The ether spray in the throttle body is probably the quickest way to diagnose if it's a fuel starvation problem. My guess is a bad pump. I've replaced them before. Pretty much anytime after 100,000 and they are due.

The unfortunate deal is that it is a pricey repair. But check the wire and make sure it isnt chaffed or rotted off or cut by the accidents. If you got power to the pump and no fuel, that's the signs of a bad pump.

Also one time I got a load of fuel with silt in it and plugged up all the injectors. That time I replaced the whole fuel system. Luckily the garage guy told the insurance company it was sugar in the gas and the vandalism insurance covered it. $1400 bucks. Good luck!!

Quick Reply: 1998 Dakota v6 won't start