2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Need a little input

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Metallheadd
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little input

I am looking for some advice. My neighbor has a 99 club cab 4x4 with the 3.9 v6 and about 120K . This is a southern truck that he bought new and it was never abused just driven. I can get this truck for about a grand. Now the bad. The transfercase is broken. I think the chain broke and knocked a chunk out of the case. I believe this is a NP231D or something like that. From what I understand this is like an HD version of the jeep t-case. How difficult and expensive would replacing this case be? I will admit most of my knowledge is with older Fords. Any help would be great.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats a good deal heck you could part it out for more than that anyway. You can get one at a junk yard they are pretty simple to replace if you have a buddy to help you you shouldnt have any problems putting them in. My buddy got his tc off ebay after his exploded and so far he hasnt had any problems with it that was almost a year ago. Prices will depend where you are at my junk yard I can get one for a 100 with a 7 day warranty not much but at least if you throw it in and it sounds bad you can get your money back.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Metallheadd
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help. A guy at work says I can get one here in NC for about $300. I am going to see about picking up this truck. Its not what I was looking for but I always like the looks of these trucks and the size.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:38 PM
bpark8824
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming it runs fine in 2wd, this is an awesome deal. If that truely is the ONLY problem and everything else is in good working order, you could even take it to a dealer and have a new tcase put in and still be ahead. I'm not saying that is what I would do, but just making a point. $1000 is a good deal. A t-case is a good saturday job and if you have a shop manual for it, it will be life a lot easier. You can buy one at Advance Auto or other places for about $20. And like ramguy said, if you have a friend to help it makes life a lot easier.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:02 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You really cant beat these trucks I like that they put v8s in the unlike all the rest of the makers that only put v6's. They are a good small tough truck every time I drive mine its usually pretty hard since I have a heavy foot.

Quick Reply: Need a little input