2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

door lock makes a loud noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 AM
fldodge4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door lock makes a loud noise

I have a problem with my 2000 quad cab. Whenever I lock the doors I hear this really loud noise from the passenger side back door. Has anyone had this problem before? Its annoying the hell out of me. Anyone have this problem?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:05 AM
01SilverCC
Record Breaker
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The door lock actuator is bad. Eventually it will quit working altogether. As far as I know, Dodge only sells the entire door latch assembly and you can not buy a new actuator by itself from the dealer. But you can buy an aftermarket actuator for about $20.00 at Best Buy or any good car audio store. Pep Boys sells a cheap one for $12.00. You can mount the aftermarket actuator in the door and connect it to the door lock rod and unplug the factory actuator and connect the 2 wires from it to the new actuator and the door lock system will still work the same as it did before.

You can also look at the bottom of the door latch assembly and operate the door lock mechanism to find the moving part of the door lock. There is a rod connecting the lock mechanism to the factory actuator. There is also a hole in the bottom of the door lock latch that the rod from the actuator is connected to. That's how the factory actuator is attched to the door lock mechanism. If you can cut the rod off and remove it, then you can mount your aftermarket actuator in the bottom of the door and just loop the end of its connecting rod through the hole on the latch mechanism. It sounds hard but is actually a lot easier than putting the door lock actuator up high in the door and connecting to the door lock rod that moves when the door lock button on the door panel (the one below the door opening handle, on the door panel) is operated.

No matter how you install the actuator, just connect the 2 wires from the old actuator to the new one. It's just a reverse polarity motor, so if it operates backwards (like if that door locks when you press the power unlock button) then just reverse the connections.

Jimmy

Old 11-30-2010, 06:00 PM
fldodge4x4
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the info.

Quick Reply: door lock makes a loud noise