2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

Truck won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 09:19 PM
CalgaryRhino
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start

I filled up with gas last Saturday night. Truck sat all day Sunday -20 weather. Plugged in block heater Sunday Night. Went to start Monday morning, engine rotates but will not start. Thought it was a frozen fuel line but it wasn't. Don't seem to be getting spark from ignition coil. Pulled coil tested resistance, seems fine, checked relays all good, 9 volts to ignition coil when engine is cranked but no spark. Is this a grounding problem to the PCM or what should I be looking for ? Tight on funds so trying to fix myself.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:23 PM
CalgaryRhino
Default hey thx for quick reply

don't have code reader but odometer shows P done

Old 11-29-2010, 09:25 PM
thunder98110
Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is it throwing any codes?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:21 PM
CalgaryRhino
Default follow up

In regards to the ignition coil I tested the power supply to the coil and used the battery for ground and got a reading of approx 9v when ignition cranked. When i test between the positive wire and the negative wire to the ignition coil I don't get a reading. My understanding is that the high voltage output of the ignition coil is caused by a signal from the PCM to ground the coil causing it to spark. is this correct and if it is does this mean my problem is more than likely the pcm and could i check the ignition coil by jumping the ground back to the battery.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:29 AM
FireFighterHill
Rookie

Have you tried jumping it with another vehicle? Does it turn over nice and strong or is it sluggish? The cold can kill a battery almost as bad as heat.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start