2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

dual fans? (dumb noob question)

Old 12-04-2010, 02:30 AM
zdelong86
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual fans? (dumb noob question)

hey everyone,
I just bought a 2000 dakota quad cab 4X2 with the 5.9 motor and i have a wired question. I was looking under the hood and i realized that i have an electric fan on the rad and the clutch fan. is this normal? i asked the previous owner and they were not sure, they said it over heated once and the took it to a local garage to have it fixed. but unfortunately, she loaned the truck to someone with OCD and they took the liberty to throw away all the paperwork that from every service the truck has ever gotten since new. id really like to know if i can remove the clutch fan and not over heat. i as thinking that since it is winter i should be OK... and as long as i hold onto it i could always put it back on in an emergency. can i get anyone's opinion? I have a 40mi commute each way and anyway i can get a few MPG's i happy. thank ya's

Old 12-04-2010, 11:01 AM
metalsrfr
Veteran

In the winter a lot a few of us remove the clutch fan and don't have problems. The electric fan you see in there is the fan for the ac. In the spring the clutch fan goes back on although I think this year I'm going to eliminate the clutch fan totally and just get a electric fan dropped in.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:21 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know on the 4.7's the electric fan comes on at 210 im not sure if it would be the same on your truck you could always take your fan off and just keep a eye on your temp but if its pretty cold where you are you should be fine.

Old 12-05-2010, 01:14 AM
rpowell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dodgeramguy85
I know on the 4.7's the electric fan comes on at 210 im not sure if it would be the same on your truck you could always take your fan off and just keep a eye on your temp but if its pretty cold where you are you should be fine.
Yeah agreed. I have a 4.7 in TX and I run e-fan only all year long. Not sure on the 5.9, maybe somebody with first hand will chime in.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:36 PM
trickytrout12

I have a 2000 dakota rt. I took my fan clutch off cause it went. I kept the stock electric fan and wired it to a switch so I can turn it on manually. I have a 180 degree thermostat and turn the fan on wen I'm idling/not moving. Truck has never overheated and fan works mint. Your truck should have a 195 thermostat but it should work fine.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:26 AM
zdelong86

Originally Posted by trickytrout12
I have a 2000 dakota rt. I took my fan clutch off cause it went. I kept the stock electric fan and wired it to a switch so I can turn it on manually. I have a 180 degree thermostat and turn the fan on wen I'm idling/not moving. Truck has never overheated and fan works mint. Your truck should have a 195 thermostat but it should work fine.
yea i want to go with the 180 thermostat. i think i gonna go with the switch idea and see what happens. thanks everyone for the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dual fans? (dumb noob question)