2nd Gen Dakota Tech 1997 - 2004 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 2nd Gen Dakota.

No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:45 PM
price59
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Heat

Hey Guys
I have a 1997 dodge Dakota i replaced the thermastat and i still have no heat
any1 have any thing like this happen if so would really like to hear from you
or any feed back as to what might be the problem adn what to check
THANKS

Old 12-04-2010, 11:36 PM
Dodge4lyfe
Veteran

Plugged heater core??

Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 AM
Crazy4x4RT
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I will move this to the 2nd Generation Dakota Sub-Forum.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:52 AM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Its most likely a plugged heater core. In my truck the blower setting couldnt be any higher than click 2 or it would come out cool air. So awhile ago I took my lines off and flushed my heater core good and after 10 min or so I took it for a spin and now setting 2 will roast me out.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Pwall
Veteran

move to a warmer climate yeah the heater core is a common problem on these trucks make sure you flush it both ways i would back flush it first

Old 12-06-2010, 01:32 PM
yetavon

another one that says flush the heater core....worked wonders for my 97
Darrin

Old 12-06-2010, 11:01 PM
NYsteve
Rookie

Originally Posted by yetavon
another one that says flush the heater core....worked wonders for my 97
Darrin

is there any way to do this without coolant draining out from the rest of the system?

sry not trying to hijack the thread.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:06 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

Originally Posted by NYsteve
is there any way to do this without coolant draining out from the rest of the system?

sry not trying to hijack the thread.
Just follow the 2 hoses out of the heater core on my 98(5.2 v8) I took the one off the driver side at the top of the water pump then the other one had a split in it by the air box right by the valve cover. I lost like a quart of coolent. If you havent changed your coolent in awhile I would flush the whole system.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:31 AM
dhshark

I had to flush out my heater core this past winter. While I was flushing it out I noticed that the coolant was really really dirty, brown and well used up. I did the best that I could to flush out the core and it helped with the heat a little.

This past spring and summer I continued to flush and back flush the heater core using water and compressed air.

This fall I performed my final flush with a coolant system cleaner. I back flushed the heater core and also used my air compressor to flush out the heater core.

In your case I'd back flush the heater core with water first. If that doesn't help, then I'd blow the heater core out with compressed air. If that doesn't help, then I'd add Calcium Lime & Rust (CLR) to the heater core. Let it sit for about 30 minutes then flush and back flush the core out with lots of water.

It is possible to flush the heater core without draining the cooling system but if you are having heating problems (heater core plugged) flushing the heater core and not flushing the cooling system will possibly lead to the heater core becoming clogged again because the junk that clogged your heater core is possibly still in the cooling system. So that'll lead you to performing the flush and back flushing of the heater core again. Flush the whole system and you'll eliminate that possibility.

Its too bad that you found out about the low heat output during winter. After last winter I made it a point to make sure that I flush the cooling system yearly for as long as I own the Dakota.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:04 PM
dodgeramguy85
Grand Champion

The method I found the best was easy off oven cleaner its the most dangerous method though because it can burn your skin and ruin painted surfaces so you really have to be careful when doing it. I did it in my woods beater a man that heat hasnt been so good in a long time I can have the heat on and the windows down and still not be cold lol

Quick Reply: No Heat